1.00c Acknowledgements, Content Advisory, and Disclaimer

Acknowledgements:

First, this book would not have been possible without the love of my family, who were exceptionally tolerant and supportive during the five-year writing process. Hopefully, they will forgive all the little details of our lives together that have made their way into this story! Special thanks go to: Yvon Goguen, Etienne Brossard and Rocco Renda.

I am grateful to la Collection nationale in le Grand Bibliothèque de Montréal, which provided me an unparalleled environment for writing—at least until COVID sent us all home. Still, most of this book was composed in a cubicle of their magnificent reading room, and I hope to return there very soon.

A very special thank you goes to my inspiration, mentor, muse, and angel (although not the kind of "angel" in this book). My wish is that every writer should be lucky enough to have a friend and colleague with such insight, wisdom, skill, love, and heart. Thank you, Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz!

And last (but certainly not least), thank you to my "Founding Patrons," who showed awesome faith in me and my work by joining my Patreon page for the initial release of this novel, even before the first chapter was available. I'm so grateful to each one of you!

Al Smith
Bob Holman
Bob koshin Hanson
Brian Gilbar
Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz
Donald Cotter
Etienne Brossard
Gary Wright
Ivan Goguen
Jaime Martin
Jean-Marc Robichaud
Joel Riemer
Justin Woo
Leticia Viloria
Lisa Kolstad
Marc Thomson
Mark Seward
Mike Yada
Phil Locke
Raymond Huessy
Rocco Renda
Rodney Wilder, Jr.
Tony Brown

The poem excerpt in Chapter 38 is from Henry Scott Holland: "Death is Nothing At All." Emily Dickinson's line in the same chapter is from her poem number 479: "Because I could not stop for Death."

"Beautiful Dreamer" is by Stephen Foster, published posthumously in 1864. Additional verses by Mattie Sowersby.

Content Advisory:

Although this book is not particularly explicit, there are a few scenes with frank depictions of sexuality. There is also some graphic violence and depictions of sexual assault. Lastly, the book discusses grief and mourning after the loss of a loved one, and because of this, a few scenes may be difficult for some readers.

Disclaimer:

This novel is a work in progress, and is presented here on Wattpad as an uncorrected draft. The book will undergo significant revisions before publication.