Chapter 6

"Why are you ignoring me?" Keith felt hurt. Aren't they supposed to be on good terms? After yesterday, he at least expected her to return a wave.

Riley looked at him coldly. "I don't want to be implicated by another's misfortune."

Keith didn't feel that was right. He considered himself very lucky. Just last week he had won a lottery for 100$.

"Misfortune? I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe elaborate a little?" Keith asked. Was there something he didn't know?

Riley was hesitant at first but remembering what her father told her, she decided to help him a little. Only this once, not again.

"Are people around you getting sick?"

Keith thought about it. He did remember his father saying he was having a headache early in the morning.

"My father had a headache."

Riley bit her lip, "Maybe you should ask him if he has added an antique to his collection."

She had said enough. She could feel it. She turned around and left, almost ran so Keith wouldn't follow her again.

Keith stood at the road side, staring blankly at Riley's disappearing back.

"An antique?"

That night, he knocked into his father's study.

"Nice to see you've taken an initiative to see me."

Keith inwardly rolled his eyes. I wish I could never see you again. Gregory looked a little pale and Keith knew he was sick. His suspicion increased.

"Do you collect antiques?"

His question surprised Gregory.

"Are you interested?"

Keith scratched his head, "Kind of."

Gregory's eyes lit up. "That's great. I'll show you my best ones. Follow me." He stood up, leaning on his cane and took Keith to his antique room. He introduced to him, every antique, even the ones in his safe. Keith had to put up a smile even though he was bored, trying to control his yawn.

After the tour, Keith asked, "Have you added anything new recently?"

Gregory was happy to see that Keith was still interested. He said in a low tone.

"I have but it shouldn't be made public."

"I can keep a secret," Keith's ears immediately pricked up.

"A few days ago, I sent someone to the old colosseum to bring out anything of value. It was sealed and nobody remembers it. It'll be a waste to let all those antiques just wither away. Between the things they brought back, there was vase that was especially priceless." Gregory beckoned for him to follow. He took him to a back room and lying on the table was a black vase with purple and gold embellishments. It gleamed under the light. It seemed like Gregory was working on cleaning it.

"Isn't it marvellous?"

"Indeed," Keith said meaningfully. His thoughts occupied by the vase. According to Riley, the reason his father was getting sick was because of this vase.