Chapter 22

"Wake up Sleeping Beauty! It's officially daytime and I refuse to allow such a gorgeous day to go to waste on my watch!" Tate shouted loudly from the other side of my bedroom door. 

I startled awake, shooting up to a sitting position like someone had just shouted "free donuts!" But when I realized that the sun wasn't even up yet, I contemplated murder. 

Maybe if I don't answer, he'll go away, I thought as I flopped back onto the bed. 

"LALIANA! GET YOUR BUTT OUT OF BED!" 

Okay... I'm gonna have to kill him. 

"LEAVE ME ALONE TATE!" I shouted through the door and scrambled for my phone to check the time. My voice grew loud with rage. "It's five in the morning!"

"SO?!?" Tate replied impatiently.  He whimpered like a puppy. "Come on! UP! UP! UP!"

I stomped to the door, hellbent on destroying Tate for being the most annoying person I had ever met. "What is wrong with you!?!" I threw the door open and glared up at Tate who stood smiling like it was one in the afternoon and not five in the morning. "Something is clearly wrong with that brain of yours!" 

Tate rocked back on his heels and laughed. "You look pissed!" 

"Wow! You must be a genius to pick that up! I am pissed! What possessed you—"

Tate looked me over, his eyes going wide. "Wait... how'd you end up in your bedroom anyway? Didn't you fall asleep out here?"

I blinked as my brain attempted to connect dots at an hour it normally was asleep for. It took a second to drag my brain out of "break time" and into "process words time." Memories flooded back. Images of sitting on the couch next to Aiden. Him wrapping his arms around me while I cried. Falling asleep with my head against his chest— Oh my gosh...

My heart stuttered but even in its panic attack, it managed to pump a bunch of blood into my face, turning me bright red. I rubbed the back of my neck and tried to look confused and not like a girl who more than likely was carried to bed by a very hot man.

"I guess Aiden helped me to bed at some point," I shrugged, trying not to choke on my saliva as I attempted to breathe normally and not like a flustered idiot.

Tate's grin was slow, but sparked like a fire, lighting up his whole face until it nearly reached from ear to ear. His eyes glinting with excitement. "HOLY CRAP. Do you like Aiden?"

I managed one word before my brain died. "I..." Great word choice brain. And this is why we don't wake up at FIVE IN THE MORNING!!! 

I shook my head wildly, hoping that gestures would fill in the gaps that words apparently would not. Tate continued to grin. The smile grew wider and wider making me feel more and more panicked. Finally, unable to stand such a bright smile of joy and amusement, I took several steps back with full intent to slam the door to my bedroom in his face. 

"WOAH!" Tate stopped the door with his shoulder. "Don't look so freaked out."

I continued to push against him and the door. "Just... let the door go Tate!" He was strong. Stupid strong Dalton boys!

"No. I'm not gonna let you hyperventilate by yourself." 

I finally stopped trying to close the door. "Just don't... It's not..." I stuttered out. 

Tate offered me a warm smile. "Hey, it's okay. I won't say a word." He lifted his fingers to his lips and pretended to zip them shut. 

I leaned my head against the door. "It's too early in the morning for this conversation Tate."