Chapter 36

I am Laliana Summers. A writer of adventures instead of having them. A girl with a weak spot for PopTarts. Someone who runs instead of fights. A blurter of words when it is the worst time to say anything. An orphan. An awkward dork. I am all of these things and more. But as some crazy stalker placed the blade tip against my cheek, hellbent on carving a freaky twisted love letter of a message on my actual face, I forgot everything that I was. The knife nicked my cheek, sending a small trail of blood down my face.

I thought of Princess Ara. The hero of her own story. I wanted to be like her. That desire sparked something in my mind. You made her. Some of that comes from you.

The idea that I could have even an ember of what Ara had, filled me with a newfound determination. I glared up at the man, bravery suddenly snaking through my body, and after taking a beat to prepare, I hawked a loogie at him, hitting him in the right eye.

Jolting backwards, he lifted the arm that had me pined and wiped wildly at his eye. "What the hell!" he shouted, roaring with rage.

"I really.... don't have time... to explain a loogie to you right now..." I gasped, crumbling to the ground, trying to catch my breath. Then I stumbled to my feet and ran, my body off balance as I moved towards the street. 

The world tilted and I hit the pavement, too dizzy and out of breath to keep my feet under me. I continued to crawl, determined to get somewhere seen. If I could find someone, anyone, I would be safe.

The man yanked me to a stop, pinning me to the ground, knees on my legs to hold me in place. He raised the knife, eyes flashing with manic glee. "For that... I'm going to make this hurt." He brought his arm down, the knife flashing in the moonlight with a terrifying finality.

But the pain never came. Suddenly he was gone, vanishing as a shadow came into view and tackled him to the ground next to me. There were a set of flashes, making the entire scene look like it was happening in slow motion. Every moment that followed erupted into light one moment and was swallowed into darkness the next, warping time. 

Aiden and the man rolled, each trying to pin the other. I scrambled backwards, reaching for my phone. With unsteady fingers and after three misdials, I finally managed to call the police. "Hi... um... I was attacked... the guy is still here... being detained-ish. Can you come to..." I spotted the street signs and filled them into our location. I couldn't hear their response. The sound of Aiden and the man struggling against each other the only thing I could hear.

I hung up, eyes glued on Aiden. The man wiggled free from his grip and lunged for me. Aiden yanked the man back by his hair, punching him in the face and knocking him to the ground. The flashes continued growing faster and wilder, highlighting the scene around me.

Aiden managed to pin the man to the pavement as he howled. "LET ME GO!"

Where the man's face was contorted with rage, Aiden's was cold and focused. In his element. Eyes a terrifying calm. "I recommend you stay down," Aiden replied, his voice emotionless. "Or I'll knock you out."

"GET OFF ME YOU—!" The man's bellow was cut short as Aiden slammed his elbow into the man's temple, silencing him. The man went slack, unconscious.

Looking up, Aiden's eyes found mine, his face transforming from cool and collected to one of open concern.

He dragged the unconscious man and dropped him against the wall nearby to keep an eye on him. The flashes continued and it was only once Aiden was crouched before me, twin ocean storms filling my vision, replacing the icy glaciers that had been there moments before that I realized the flashes were paparazzi cameras. They had watched the whole thing and done nothing to help.