Chapter 44

Have you ever been caught doing something you shouldn't be doing? Like a parent walking into the kitchen when you were in the middle of eating that third cookie, you were told not to eat? Or a teacher catching you passing a note in class? 

When it happens, you get this weird, wide-eyed embarrassed look on your face, making you lose the ability to control your expression for half a second. That's when it becomes clear if you feel bad for what you've done. It's that instant when you decide to either admit to what you did or buckle down and straight-up lie. 

As I stared at Kristie, Belle, and Amy, two of the three of them had guilt splash across their faces. Belle and Amy stared down at the ground, like puppies on the verge of getting scolded. But Kristie just laughed like what I said was the most ridiculous thing in the world. It was too loud and had a bite to it. A patronizing kind of laugh that echoed loudly, making my head hurt. 

"Man, they must have you on some heavy drugs Laliana," Kristie said with a roll of her eyes as she handed her vase to Belle and motioned for the other two to put them down on the small table at the far end of the room under the window sill. 

The morning sun filtered into the room, making everything look bright and warm, a stark contrast to what was happening. 

Belle and Amy smiled, looking amused, but it didn't quite reach their eyes. I raised a brow at Kristie. "Seriously? You think laughing will make me pretend it wasn't you?" 

Kristie sighed, crossing her arms, the amusement leaving her eyes. "Well... it was worth a shot. You are on a bunch of drugs. How was I supposed to know you weren't accusing everyone who walked in here?" She tilted her head, analyzing me, her eyes cold and calculating. "How'd you figure it out?"

I was fully aware that I was alone with three girls who tried to kill me. And I had very little power to stop them from doing it again right then and there. Not with a broken arm and three broken ribs. I wished Aiden was in the room. But he wasn't and I needed to find a way to stay alive and get answers. So I did what I always did when I was nervous, I talked. "I started to piece it together when you came to the table reading for Seapunk Princess. Which was honestly, a very stupid thing to do." 

Kristie's eyes flashed. "How so?" she asked, her tone hard.

Okay, Laliana. I know you are always honest but try REALLY hard not to piss her off so much that she tries to suffocate you with one of the millions of pillows Sanders brought.

"It clicked when Belle reminded me we had a catch-up meal seven months ago. That's around the time the notes started." I held up a finger, counting the clues. "Then I remembered you gave me a ride home after lunch. At first, I thought you were being nice because you know how uncomfortable I am with driving places, but then I realized it was so you could see where I lived." 

Kristie's eyes narrowed as I continued. "You must have taken my keys when I went to the bathroom at the restaurant and made a copy. So it was easy for you to get into my apartment. You didn't even have to break in. All you had to do was unlock the door." 

I shook my head. "You always had a flair for the dramatic, so it makes sense that you would start leaving theatrical notes with a bite to them. And as for the note on my mirror... well you weren't in my apartment when I got home where you?" The question was rhetorical so I continued, speaking faster. "My book tour schedule is online. So you knew I wouldn't be home. You went inside, left the note on my mirror with bright red lipstick, and left." 

My heart beat faster as Kristie's hands rolled into fists, losing her patience with my monologue. I hurried on, determined to share what I knew. I wasn't going to die without saying my piece. "I lived with you for a year. So you all knew about my habit of singing Pirates Life For Me, before bed after going to a book signing." 

"What I don't get..." I said my voice growing angry. "...is why? Why do any of this? And why get Chad Walker involved?"

"Was that his name?" Kristie asked with a wave of her hand as if the stalker's name was a detail she didn't care to remember.

Belle spoke, surprising me. I had all but forgotten that Amy and Belle were still in the room. They had always followed Kristie's lead with silent allegiance. "We should go," she suggested. 

"Yeah..." Amy agreed, eyeing the doorway warily. 

"NOT. YET," Kristie replied, shooting them each a glare. Then her eyes snapped back to mine, a cold smile crossing her face. "That Chad guy was in love with you," Kristie said with an amused sigh. "And who was I to stand in the way of love? I knew I needed to help him once I saw his binder covered in a BUNCH of creepy level pictures of you when I went to a local coffee shop." 

Kristie wrapped a strand of her hair around her finger, pursing her lips in amusement at the memory. "We each had a few industry connections, so we got him into the premiere." Kristie laughed. "I honestly had no idea how truly unstable he was, but it worked to our favor because I've never seen you look so scared." 

She giggled like she was telling me a joke and not like she was reliving a moment in my life that was traumatic. Her laugh grew louder, making my blood boil. But I couldn't lash out. Not yet. I still needed answers. "So you gave him my phone number?" 

"He stole my phone actually," Amy said, quietly. She looked flustered, afraid. "I didn't know he was so unstab—"

"Can it Amy!" Kristie snapped. "Yes, he called you. And he was the one who threatened Aiden's family—"

I saw red, thinking of Iz and Katherine. Thinking of Tate, unconscious and fighting. Thinking of the months I had spent utterly terrified.

"And he crashed a boat into the one I was on. And he attacked me with a knife," I finished. "But you gave him the information on where I would be. You opened that can of worms." My voice rose. "AND YOU CUT THE BREAKS ON TATE'S CAR!" 

Kristie sprinted over to me, the others following like her shadows. Amy and Belle each grabbed one of my arms and Kristie covered my mouth with her hand, her grip tight. "No yelling. It's not good for you in this condition." Her nails dug into my cheeks. "Besides... we aren't done yet." 

I struggled against them but I grew tired under the pain that bit at my side. At my arm. Kristie eyed my heart monitor and glared back at me. "Calm down your heart rate, or I'll have Amy twist that broken arm of yours. We don't want an audience yet."

I took a deep breath past her fingers, forcing my heart to slow. It took several long painful seconds. I focused on my breathing, determined not to give them the satisfaction of tears. I wouldn't cry. I wouldn't scream. I wouldn't do anything until I got my answer. I needed to know why they had done what they had done.

Kristie smiled as if reading my mind. "Since you are too dense to figure it out for yourself... It's my turn to tell you a story. Then when I'm done, we'll finish what we started."

---

Thank you for reading chapter forty-four! I hope you are enjoying the story! Or are at least curious to see where it goes! Add this story to know when the next chapter drops!

UPDATE DAYS - A NEW CHAPTER EVERY DAY UNTIL THE FINAL CHAPTER! Just two more to go!!!

Where is Aiden?

Will Laliana be okay?

Will Tate be okay?

Why did the girls try to hurt her? 

CHAPTER QUESTION - Are you better at telling stories, or writing stories?