Chapter 13: Rain Brings People Closer

(Not edited)
I take a seat at the table. I ignore the stares coming from Hayden and Chase.

I don't know why they're staring at me but I do know I wish they weren't.

"Taylor how have you been dear?" Mrs Jackson ask from across the table.

"Fine. School has kept me busy."

She's about to say something else but Austin steps up to the microphone.

"Hi everyone. I'm going to make this short. I've played at Syracuse for 3 years now and I've loved every moment of it. But my mind is consumed with all the what if's. What if my senior year I get injured. Well then I wouldn't be drafted. So here I am announcing to all the basketball stars I grew up watching. I'm applying for the Draft this year." Immediately people start clapping except for Mr. Jackson, and Hayden.

I find it quite rude that they aren't clapping. Mr. Jackson notices Chase clapping and starts whispering something in his ear.

Chase's face immediately changes. His expression is not happy it's mad.

I watch as Chase gets up from the table and walks towards the exit.

"I think I'm going to make my great escape now. I wouldn't want people looking at my mom and then back at me and thinking we are related. Plus I don't want to talk to my father." I tell Mrs. Carson. She nods and I get up from the table.

I walk towards the exit but before I exit the doors I turn around and I see my family sitting at a table. Kylie is sitting where I should be sitting and I was sitting where she should be.

My family looks happy. They look whole without me. Kylie fits in perfectly. I no longer have my brother because he is wrapped around her finger. I no longer have my dad because he's a sports man. If I'm not in sports we have nothing to talk about. He hasn't told me he's loved me since I was fourteen.

My mom, I barely have her. If I was at Kentucky she'd be there everyday eating lunch with me and telling me all about the town gossip.

Seth, I have Seth. Seth has always been there for me. He found me in the bathtub with my wrist bleeding out. He was scarred for life because he saw me barely alive. He's the only one who's know why I wanted to die. He took care of me everyday after I got home from the hospital and rehab. He was the only one a hundred percent there for me.

As I exit the door I have no clue how I'm going to get home. I see a café across the street and walk in.

I immediately spot Chase sitting in the back with his back to me.

"Want some company?" I ask and he looks up from his hot chocolate.

"Sure have a seat." I do as he says.

"You know it's not cold enough outside for hot chocolate, right?"

"I know."

"Well what's with the short answers? Who pissed you off?"

"Sorry it's just my dad. It's like I'm only the best in his eyes. He won't focus on anything else." He says as he looks out the window.

He looks at me with a puzzling look before he speaks. "Wanna get out of here. I have no desire to go back in there."

"I left for a reason. I'm not going back in there. Where are we going?"

"Follow me." He says as he slides out of the booth at holds his hand out for me to take.

I take his hand as we walk out of the café. His hand and mine fit. Like they were made to be held by each other's hand.

I like this feeling. It's not like any of the other feelings I've felt with other boyfriends. This feeling is different.