Herbology

November was right around the corner, and academic life was becoming the major event of students' daily routines, or at least for seventh and fifth years, who were already preparing for the most arduous exams they'd have to take during their stay at Hogwarts.

"I still find it hard to believe that you out of all people need help with classes, (y/n)," Regulus mentioned as he finished bandaging his fingers on one of the common room couches. 

"You'll understand once you have the pressure of N.E.W.T classes and exams next year," you sighed, gathering your books. "How are your hands? Any better?"

He shook his head and extended his arms to look at his bandaged palms. "It's not the first time this has happened, so I was expecting it. Even if Slytherin doesn't play until the end of November, we've been stepping up practice. The Inter-House Quidditch Cup starts in a week, after all."

"Take care of yourself, though. Having longer practices is good for the new team's improvement, but it'll all be useless if our captain and seeker gets injured before our opening match," you warned. "Well then, I'm off. I have to be in the Herbology greenhouse in five minutes."

"Have fun," Regulus hummed mockingly. "I bet you'll have a blast around the plants all afternoon."

Rolling your eyes, you left the common room silently, wrapping your Slytherin scarf around your neck in the hallway. This year is especially cold... I wouldn't be surprised if it starts snowing before our first Quidditch match. Hopefully not, though.

You arrived in front of the greenhouse right on time and waited at the entrance for the other two students who also wanted help for the upcoming DADA exam. It didn't take long for Remus to appear in the opposite hallway you had arrived from, carrying more books than he could hold.

 "Would you look at that, you're actually here!" you exclaimed, waving at him.

Remus raised an eyebrow and put his books down on the ground before looking at you with a small scowl. "Hey! What's that's supposed to mean?" 

"I thought you wouldn't show up, considering you've been avoiding Marco outside class hours as much as you can." 

"Am I really that obvious?" he sighed, hiding his face in his hands. "This is a different situation, though. We really need help before the first DADA exam. Knowing Marco, it won't be easy at all."

"Right? It's the first time I've actually felt nervous over an exam," you chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of your neck. "Where's Sirius?"

"Detention with McGonagall."

You crossed your arms and shook your head with a disappointed sigh. "Again? It's the third time in two weeks! He had started to stay out of trouble last year, why couldn't that continue for this one, too?"

"Seems like he's returning to his old antics," Remus shrugged. "I guess it'll only be us."

"And professor Marco," you wiggled your eyebrows and nudged Remus' side. 

"Stop that! It's awkward enough as it is! I feel like I'm going to do something stupid around him," he grumbled, walking around in a small circle. "If I do, please cover for me, (y/n)."

Holding the door of the greenhouse open, you nodded reassuringly at your friend as he walked inside, you following behind. Marco was on the other end of the room and seemed to be handling some sort of moving plant. 

"Ah, you're here, and right on time!" he called out, not looking away from what he was doing. "Would you mind giving me a minute? I happen to be in a bit of a tangled pinch."