Chapter 14

"Oh my God." Maisy says faintly.

"Oh my God..." I repeat, a little - or a lot - shocked. As if this is the place? Out of all the places in the world, Alexander's territory? What are the odds!

The two never lose eye contact. Maisy has dropped her croissant and the guy has placed his coffee cup back on the counter, eyes still locked.

His skin was a rich, deep colour with dark, slightly curly hair to match and almost an emerald shade of green. He also had some round shaped glasses on, making him look a little geeky in the cutest way possible.

As he moves towards us, Maisy stands and they end up being only a couple of feet apart.

"Well... my name is Mason. Nice to meet you." He chuckles awkwardly.

"Maisy." She smiles widely.

Mason reaches for a loose strand of her hair and tucks it behind her ear, then caresses her face with his hand.

"I've been waiting for you for a long time." He whispers, and leans in for a romantic kiss.

Following a bit of PDA behaviour, Maisy finally introduces us. It was incredible to watch their interaction, it's like they've been together for years. Their instant connection was something that never seizes to amaze me every time I witness mates meet for the first time.

I decided to stop third wheeling, finish up my coffee quickly and then give the two love birds some privacy. I imagine I'm going to be pretty lonely for the next few days.

So what do I do instead?

You got it. Heading back to see Alex where an awkward and uncomfortable conversation awaits me. We haven't addressed what happened last night and what that meant.

Yeah... its that type of conversation.

I wasn't looking forward to it.

I found Alex pretty easily, he took some time off most of his Alpha duties for the week Remington organised for him with the girls. At the moment it's only the essential and most important duties that he's dealing with.

We decided to have a stroll around the pack gardens to get some privacy and be in a relaxing environment.

We started off having a lot of laughs and our usual amazing conversations. We spoke about Maisy and her new mate and I found out that Mason is actually one of Alex's Bettas. It's a great thing for Maisy, she's going to have a very comfortable life here with him since they will most likely be both living here. Bettas are usually very wealthy so as long as he's a good man, she'll have everything she needs.

"So..." Alex trails off.

"I was hoping that I'm not alone in thinking last night was probably a bit of a mistake." Yep. I said that.

I had every intention of moving things along with Alex... I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm falling for him and why wouldn't I? He's... basically perfect.

Apart from one thing. He's not my mate.

And Maisy finding her mate today has reminded me of the hard truth of being a werewolf. That truth is that no matter how much you want to love someone, if they're not your mate, you're in for one hell of a ride later on.

I didn't want to find a mate, like at all. I wanted to know what it's like to fall in love and have real, true feelings.

It might be in a week, a few months or even years. But when it happens didn't matter; what mattered is that it will happen and I can't be in a relationship which is not going anywhere, hurting us both later on when our real mates come around.