Chapter One - Crash

Dedicated to all my fans who have given me endless support and keep me writing every word.

Chapter One

Crash

Addison's POV

"Addy, Addy, Addy." Groaning at the sound of that annoying little voice, I reluctantly opened my eyes to find my six year old sister staring back at me. Dressed in her 'Dora the Explora' onesie, her faithful green frog hanging from her left hand, she stood with her chocolate eyes wide and her hair a mass of blonde curls. "Come on, Addy. Mommy said we can't start until you're there." She pouted. I had no idea what she was so excited about; anyone would think it was her birthday, not mine.

It was Saturday and at 7:20 in the morning whilst everyone else was still in the land of dreams, I had a spoilt little princess tugging on my arm. "Peyton, go away." Pulling my arm out of her tiny hand, I turned and buried my head in my pillow. "Tell mom, I'll be down later." Did these people ever sleep?

"No!" She stomped her foot. Yes, she was that kind of brat. "Mommy said you have to come down, because you're being a shellfish."

Dear God. "I think she called me selfish rather than an actual creature from the sea." I twisted around to face her.

Shaking her head, the blonde curls bounced around her shoulders. "Nu-huh." Her pink cherub cheeks puffed as she gave me a toothy grin. "Mommy and daddy said today was a special day because Auntie Mel is coming over for cake and if you didn't come down you're being a shellfish."

Super.

Just as I was about to tell her to leave me alone, my mother's shrill voice echoed up the stairs. "Addison if you don't get your butt down here, you'll be grounded for a month." That was a lie. In all of my seventeen - now eighteen - years I have never once been grounded. Sure she had said it, her and my dad both had, but neither of them could stick to it for longer than an hour.

"I told you." Peyton said, dragging out her words.

"Addison!" My mom shouted again.

I gave up. Throwing back the covers, I pushed my sister towards the door. "Come on brat." Swinging her stuffed frog, she skipped out of the room with me behind her dragging my feet. So maybe normal people were excited about their birthday, but for me it meant a lot of painful hours spent with my family as they laughed and joked about the 'good old days'. I personally couldn't remember any of said days, despite constantly being told I was there. I'm pretty sure they just make them up.

Walking sluggishly into the living room, my dad was the first to get up. "Happy birthday, cupcake." He chirped, his arms wrapping around me as he planted a kiss on my forehead.

I smiled, taking a seat next to my mom. "Thanks pop."

"Here," My mom passed me a small box shaped gift wrapped in silver paper with a huge pink bow. "Happy birthday, Addy." Kissing her on the cheek in silent thanks, I got to work on opening my present. Ok, so there were some positives to birthdays and the first being the little black box I held in the palm of my hands. "If you don't like it we can get you something else." Even though she wore a smile, I could hear in her voice how much she hoped that wouldn't be the case.

Opening it, my eyes landed on the most beautiful, delicate necklace I had ever seen. A single diamond tear drop hung from a thin silver chain. "Guys it's beautiful." I held it up, the morning sun that peeked through the window lighting it up in a ray of different colours.

"It was my mother's and your great-grandmother's before that. I've lost track of how long that's been in the family." My dad told me, his voice becoming a little croaky. "It'll look beautiful on you."