Chapter Three - The New Guy

Chapter Three

The New Guy

"You finally made it then." Caleb said, edging out of the door and leaning against the frame. I rolled my eyes at his comment, I was nervous about being back behind the wheel after nearly running someone down, sue me.

I leaned across the passenger seat and rolled the window down, "I can easily leave you here you know." I called out, "I'm being a nice girlfriend, picking you up so you're not late for class, but if you want to hike you ass to school in this heat, be my guest." I didn't tell him that inside the car was hotter than hell. The air con system wasn't working so the best I could do was the light breeze through the window.

He laughed and picked up his bag, throwing it over his shoulder and hollering a goodbye to his mom. "Damn baby, I think its cooler outside." He said, clicking his seat belt in to place.

I knew that was coming. "It's natural air con," I pointed to the window, "better for the pores." He shook his head, turned on the radio and sat back in his seat.

Western High was pretty much your average high school. We had the cliché groups, but generally most people got along well. The town was too small for us not to. All the parents knew each other, heck even grandparents knew each other. It was that close knit, my family and I were still the newest members of the town four years after moving here.

Like a typical school we had the jocks and cheerleaders, or Caleb's friends as they're better known. We had the cool kids, also known as my friends, who pretty much spoke to everyone and then there were the delinquents. They didn't speak to anyone but each other.

Stepping out into the blistering heat, I was grateful to my parents for buying the truck. Yeah, it might have been a million years old, but it was my pride and joy, and it had helped to keep my make up from sliding off my face which would have happened if I'd have walked here.

"Hi Addison, did Mr Anders give you the assignment papers?" Coleen asked, pushing the sliding strap of her bag back up to her shoulder. Coleen was a member of the intellectual gang. The kids who loved school and studying, and would absolutely end up in the Ivy League college of their choice.

"Yeah, we have him last so I'll give you the paper at lunch." I smiled. She said her thanks and turned back to her friends.

Caleb lifted his hand in a gesture of greeting to the guys hanging round a brand new, shiny, Mercedes that one of them had no doubt been gifted for scoring at last weeks football game. The guys called out taunts and laughed at one another. They were loud, arrogant and self-assured, they were the jocks. "I'll see you after first, ok baby." I nodded and titled my head, enough for Caleb to plant a kiss on my cheek, before he headed in their direction.

I carried on across the parking lot until I reached the best group in the school. Ok, so I was slightly biased, but the cool kids were undoubtedly the most liked. We weren't stuck up like the mean girls and we weren't scary like the scene girls, we were just... well girls. We did have a few guys in our group, but they floated between us and the jocks.

First up was Gabby, she strode up to me with her arms open, "I heard about the crash, are you ok?"

I hugged her back, "I'm fine, I was a complete idiot." Gabby was sweet, naïve and innocent.

"I can't believe you nearly killed someone." Zoe, not so sweet and definitely not innocent.

I gave her a look. You know, the shut the hell up, kind of look. "I didn't almost kill someone, I clipped him, he's fine, he's breathing." She rolled her eyes.

"You don't know that Addy, he could have had internal bleeding or concussion, or any number of hidden problems that later lead to fatality."

I narrowed my eyes, "Gee, thanks Rita. You really know how to keep a girl calm." Rita was in some ways a nerd, but in other ways a cheerleader. She was slightly odd and in between, which is why she falls perfectly into the cool kids.