Pilot [2]

Patrick helped Serena out of the cab as the other CBI agents walked over. "Morning everybody. How was your flight?"

"Go away." Lisbon told Patrick "You're on suspension,"

Serena hit her father and glared up at him.

"What?" Patrick asked her.

Serena huffed as she began to sign "You told me that she would be ok with this,"

"She will be," Patrick assured her as he leads her after the CBI team. "Mandated leave. Ends next week," he corrected Lisbon.

"So come back next week," Lisbon argued. "Which one of you jackasses told him? It was you, wasn't it, Cho?"

"Yes, it was," Cho admitted.

"Of course he called me. It's Red John," Patrick reasoned.

Serena stiffened at the mention of the name.

Patrick placed a reassuring hand on her back "It's ok sweetie." He looked back at Lisbon "You can't keep me out of this. Why would you want to?"

"You got a man killed. There are consequences," Lisbon reminded.

"Oh, a man that murdered his daughter 'cause she wouldn't have sex with him anymore?"

Serena crinkled her nose in distaste.

"You didn't know that." Lisbon exclaimed "You did not know that. If she hadn't had left a diary..."

"But she did, though," Patrick said. "Be reasonable. This is my case,"

"Your case?"

"Red John's mine,"

"Red John doesn't belong to anyone,"

"He belongs to me,"

"It's not my call. Rules are rules. Come back next week." Lisbon looked down at Serena "It was nice seeing you again sweetie,"

Serena only nodded as she stood awkwardly to the side.

***

"We have Gregory Tannen...Caucasian, male, 43, single." The coroner explained as Patrick entered the morgue. "We haven't opened him up yet, but burn marks..."

"Sorry I went over your head." Patrick told Lisbon "I'll redeem myself, I promise,"

"You want redemption? Be silent," Lisbon spat.

"Okay. I can learn to do that,"

"Shh!" Lisbon looked up at the Coroner "Sorry,"

The Coroner pointed to the body "The burn marks here indicate that the victim was subdued with a stun gun...standard civilian model by the look of it. Death appears to be caused by several blows to the back of the skull consistent with a bloodied golf club found at the scene. The Female is Alison Randolph...27, married, no children. They were found at her listed residence. TOD looks to be early Saturday evening. On Alison, we have the same stun gun marks, followed by binding with tight black plastic ligatures, frenzied cutting and stabbing assault of the torso, and subsequent abuse of the viscera,"

"Textbook Red John," Cho said with a shake of his head.

"Who found the bodies?" Lisbon questioned.

"This one's husband, coming home from the airport Sunday morning with his brother,"

"Price Randolph. What's her deal with him?"

"Uh, he's on file as one of her physicians," Cho explained.