Swinging into your life - Part three

Stiles is very happy there are food trucks at the event. He skipped dinner and he's positively starving. His newly extended group of friends claims a spot on the lawn and when more people get food it turns into an impromptu picnic. Stiles is having so much fun he isn't even peeved when Jackson turns up unexpectedly.Maybe Lydia just forgot to mention he would be coming. Or Stiles just forgot she told him Jackson would come too, that's also possible. He's a bit put out that his comfy spot on one of the king size beds in their motel room is now taken. Lydia and him always share a bed if they're on the road for competitions, but when Jackson's there he's not gonna let Stiles do that. Lydia made him drop the 'don't touch my girlfriend' act pretty fast - bitching him out whenever he moped about them dancing together, though Jackson's still a possessive douchebag whenever he has the opportunity.

Stiles doesn't have to worry about that now. The night is still young and with the sun setting the whole event gets even more magical, with all the lights around the tent coming on. That he's sitting next to Derek Hale is also pretty magical. He finds he constantly has to adjust his view of Derek, the more time he spends with the guy.

At first, he only knew of Derek: two time world champion, partnered with Braeden for the past six years, son of Prima Ballerina Talia Hale. And hot like burning; that was just an honest observation, even if he only saw Derek in video streams of the competitions. Stiles likes watching dancing competitions when he can't sleep, admiring the complicated figures and focused dedication of the dancers.

Then, in the past six months, he started bumping into Derek Hale at dancing competitions - sometimes literally. He is even more beautiful in real life, Stiles was happy to conclude, even with the stern face he recognised from the Salsa competitions. Derek is extremely focused when he has to perform; not only in the five minutes before and during his performance, but practically all the time. Frankly, he is a grumpy asshole.

And now Stiles finds out he's not. He's snarky, yes. And very serious about performing. But he's also funny, kind, nice to talk to, and tactile, and - Okay, most dancers are pretty touchy-feely with each other. It comes with the territory and Stiles tries his hardest not to read too much into it. Because he's falling for Derek, hard and fast.

So when Erica tackles him into Derek and the dancer practically curls around him to get them both comfortable, it's all Stiles can do not to kiss him right then and there. He doesn't even know if Derek is queer. He has a feeling he is, yet that might just be wishful thinking. He knows he's not dating Braeden, they're just dance partners. There's been women in the past though, Stiles might have googled his name once or twice to read up about the dancer. Not to mention that almost every woman in the dancing world gets that dreamy look in her eyes when his name is mentioned. Dude probably has his pick from beautiful, willing women after every competition.
Still, Stiles doesn't hesitate to grab Derek's hand when they all make their way towards the dance floor. And when Derek goes to greet his sister, who is DJ-ing, he's happy to tag along, happy to get a little peek into Derek's private life.

Cora doesn't have much time for them of course, but what little time she has, she uses to toss Stiles a fucking curveball. She talks like he is Derek's boyfriend and what is that she says about checking their phones?

He has been too busy with the people around him to check his phone in the past hours, so when he pulls the device out of his pocket he has some unread messages. There's one from his dad, wishing him luck and telling him to have fun. And a cryptic one from Melissa McCall, thanking him for wearing the T-shirt with the name of her dance school 'for that dance'. Other than that, there's nothing special. He decides to check Twitter and sees that @AlphaSwing has a steady stream of tweets going about the event. He finds his name connected to a video of his demonstration with Lydia and quickly retweets it, doing the same for the video of Scott and Allison and the one of Boyd and Erica. Of course there's also a video of Derek and Braeden, so he retweets that too. There's pictures of the fair, of the workshops and of people swing dancing to live music in the large tent. It's the same coverage as every year, only this time Stiles is a part of it. He intends to thoroughly dive into all the pictures and videos when he's back home again, it's gonna be a great way to relive this day.