He's not dead

chapter eight; He's Not Dead

JINX BLINKED away the sleep.

Annabeth had dragged her from the table and made her stand watch while the others scrambled around trying to keep the ship together.
She yawned, patting her mouth.

Fighting the big monster was useless. It had receded into the sea anyway. Percy searched the ocean and talked to his sea friends for signs of the missing demigods. Jason did the same but he flew around putting out any fires that had remained.

Piper stood next to her, constantly flipping her dagger to its blade. She sighed, rubbing her eyes.

None of the others had slept, staying up the entire night looking for their friends. While Jinx had the best sleep ever, that was until Annabeth shook her awake.

It had been hours and they hadn't moved from their spot. Time was running out. And no one had bothered to ask her to slow it down just a notch.
It was good that they didn't because she was too mentally exhausted to do that.

Now, the others paced around the deck. For what? Jinx couldn't say. She slumped down, listening to Coach recite the Chuck Norris movie to himself.

A form of consolation.

Finally, something did happen and the awkward silence wasn't so awkward anymore. Piper cried in relief, jumping into the water and paddling to Leo and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Jinx was so startled by the sudden motion she accidentally triggered her time travel and went back a few minutes before Piper jumped into the water.

Leo laughed hugging Piper to his chest.

"Miss me?" And although his question was directed to Piper, his gaze went to the girl that was dusting off her knees, and making her way to the edge.

She crossed her arms and leaned on the railing, "oh what a surprise. You're not dead."

He gave her that Leo grin of his.

"Where were you? How are you guys alive?" Piper asked, with a sudden wave of anger.

"Long story." Leo said, "want a brownie?" He looked over at the picnic basket that the fish centaur gave him.

Annabeth, Percy, and Jason rushed to help them aboard. Jinx stood there, watching.

"It's nice to see you back, Hazel." Jinx patted her head.

Leo saw the younger girl beam, "yeah!"

They gathered on the quarterdeck, for a breakfast filled with brownies. He offered one to Jinx, who took three.

She stuffed one into her mouth, "Coach, where are you going?"

"It's getting too cuddly touchy feely for me." He muttered, walking out.

Leo went to go check out the helm controls, panicking every once in a while. He vaguely paid attention to the story Hazel and Frank were retelling.

"Incredible."

"These are some really good brownies." Jinx and Jason said at the same time.
"Right!"

"That's your only comment?" Piper looked at them pointedly.

"Did you have one already?" Jinx pushed the picnic basket to her. "They are good."

"-Got it. But these brownies-" Jason countered. Jinx passed him another. "Thanks, Jinx, I'm glad you understand the feeling."

Frank agreed with them, "try them with Esther's peach preserves."

Jinx covered her mouth, "who's Esther?"