Confrontation Delayed

chapter four; Confrontation Delayed

"ARE YOU keeping something from me?"

Coach Hedge looked up from polishing his bat. "No."

Jinx narrowed her eyes, looking at him suspiciously. "Then why are you acting weird?"

"I'm not the one that's avoiding talking to their cousin. Why are you acting weird around him?"

Jinx turned around, cleaning her glasses. "There's nothing happening. I'm not acting weird. You are."

Hedge rolled his eyes, setting down his bat. "I'm going updeck. Hurry up."

Jinx waited until he left. He was definitely acting odd. More than usual. She put her glasses back on her face and pinched her nose, annoyed that he was right.

She opened the door and almost expected Percy to bump into her or Annabeth remind her that she was late for the meeting.

Venice was a really beautiful place to see. Jinx was dying to see the museums and art galleries.

"What are they?" Hazel asked, the rest of the demigods looking down at the crowd of people.

Jinx wasn't interested in the people, but the buildings' structure and which bakery was closest.

"What are what- oh." She scrunched up her face. "That's a lot of mini monsters."

Jason grunted. "The mortals think they're stray dogs."

"Or pets roaming around," Piper said. "My dad shot a film in Venice once. I remember him telling me there were dogs everywhere. Venetians love dogs."

"Who's your dad?"

Piper frowned, as if it should have been obvious.

"Tristian McLean." Leo answered.

The name didn't ring any bells, but Jinx practiced the polite smile Hazel showed her, and nodded.

"But what are they?" Frank asked, repeating Hazel's question. "They look like...starving, shaggy cows with sheepdog hair."

"Maybe they're harmless," Leo suggested. "They're ignoring the mortals."

"And they look so un-monstery."

Coach butt in before Piper told her that wasn't a word.

"Harmless!" He laughed. "Valdez, how many harmless monsters have we met? We should just aim the ballistae and see what happens!"

"Uh, no," Leo said.

Jinx was ready for action, "Why not?"

Leo gave her an exasperated look. "I'll explain later."

Code for 'I'll never talk about this again.'

"We'll have to walk through them and hope they're peaceful," Frank said hesitating slightly, "It's the only way we're going to track down the owner of that book."

Leo pulled the leather-bound manual from underneath his arm. He'd slapped a sticky note on the cover with the address the dwarfs in Bologna had given him.

"La Casa Nera," he read. "Calle Frezzeria."

"The Black House," Nico di Angelo translated. "Calle Frezzeria is the street."

"You speak Italian?" Frank asked.

Nico shot him a warning look, like: Watch the questions. He spoke calmly, though. "Frank is right. We have to find that address. The only way to do it is to walk the city. Venice is a maze. We'll have to risk the crowds and those...whatever they are."

Thunder rumbled in the clear summer sky. They'd passed through some storms the night before.

Jason frowned at the horizon. "Maybe I should stay on board. Lots of venti in that storm last night. If they decide to attack the ship again..."

He didn't need to finish. They'd all had experiences with angry wind spirits. Jason was the only one who had much luck fighting them. Jinx had no problem with going. This was probably the only chance she'd get at exploring the streets of Venice.

Coach Hedge grunted. "Well, I'm out, too. If you softhearted cupcakes are going to stroll through Venice without even whacking those furry animals on the head, forget it. I don't like boring expeditions."

"It's okay, Coach." Leo grinned. "We still have to repair the foremast. Then I need your help in the engine room. I've got an idea for a new installation."

That meant Leo was out. So, no exploring with him. The thought saddened her, but it didn't deter her from what she wanted. Then again, she was not going to be the first one to offer to go. Someone else had to offer first before she did.

"Well..." Piper shifted her feet. "Whoever goes should be good with animals. I, uh...I'll admit I'm not great with cows."

"I'll go," Frank announced.

Leo patted him on the shoulder and handed him the leather-bound book. "Awesome. If you pass a hardware store, could you get me some two-by-fours and a gallon of tar?"

"Leo," Hazel chided, "it's not a shopping trip."

"I'll go with you guys." Jinx said, raising her hand.

"I'll go with you," Nico offered.

Frank's eye started twitching as he visibly paled.

Jinx glared at her cousin. "On second thought, I'll stay here. I forgot that I need- to uh... Don't question me."

Nico glared back, opening his mouth to probably back out, but Frank asked him if he was good with animals.

No backing out for you, Jinx smiled. Another confrontation delayed, means another slay.

Nico smiled without humor. "Actually, most animals hate me. They can sense death. But there's something about this city...." His expression turned grim. "Lots of death. Restless spirits. If I go, I may be able to keep them at bay. Besides, as you noticed, I speak Italian."

Leo scratched his head. "Lots of death, huh? Personally, I'm trying to avoid lots of death, but you guys have fun!"

"I'll go too." Hazel slipped her arm through Frank's. "Three is the best number for a demigod quest, right?"

Nico stared at the canals, as if wondering what new and interesting forms of evil spirits might be lurking there. "All right, then. Let's go find the owner of that book."

He spared one last look at Jinx, and she had to resist the urge of flipping him off. He didn't deserve it, but ever since he mentioned that talk he wanted to have, she was doing her best to avoid him. Which took a lot of effort seeing as they were in the sky most of the time. 

Hedge gave her a knowing look that she ignored, shooing him away. "Don't you have repairing stuff to do?"

Coach readied a retort, but Leo patted his back and started showing him plans.

That left Piper, Jason, and Jinx.

An odd trio.

"So... What do you guys like to do for fun?"