Family Tree

chapter eleven; Family Tree

JINX SCROLLED down the website about Greek mythology.

Nothing helped.

Most websites described her father as a dark entity that simply existed. How she was conceived was a question that would probably haunt her forever.

"Who did you say the evil villain we're going to fight against is?"

Leo looked down at her, removing his gaze from the wii controller. "Gaea. Mother Nature."

Jinx grimaced. Now everything made sense. She couldn't believe how dense she had been earlier.
"Oh."

Gaea, the goddess that wants to kill them all and dominate the world, is her sister.
Jinx nearly threw up at the thought of considering her a half sibling.

In fact, her father had gotten busy and birthed many other godly children, but so far none of them had tried to kill her or invaded her dreams.

I'm half of her family, she shuddered, closing the laptop slowly.

"Here." Jinx handed the device to Leo, "I think that's enough internet for me."

"What'd you search up?"

She gave him a 'I-don't-want-to-talk-about-it' look and he turned back to what he was doing, taking the hint. Jinx thumped her head on the wall, letting her eyes close.

She felt his stare burn into her forehead. Jinx resisted the urge to throw a temper tantrum.
Screaming didn't seem so bad.

Jinx knew exactly how to help herself.

She inhaled and exhaled through her nose. "I'll see you in a few seconds." Jinx told Leo who began to question where she was going.

Time's flow stopped its current and allowed Jinx to freak out properly.

"Gods, I am siblings with that monster!" Jinx rubbed her arms. "Fuck." She whispered, "my half sister wants to kill me and a bunch of other people."

She couldn't believe it. So she said it again.
"My half sister wants to kill me."

'Yes, and you should be grateful I don't kill you now.'

Jinx's head flew up, her eyes roaming the place. She approached Leo's time-stopped body and flicked his forehead, much like the first time.
"Are you talking to me?"

'No, you imbecile. He is frozen.'

"Well," she turned from Leo, searching for the voice. "This is new. No one's ever spoken back to me when I do this."

'And it will be the last time.' A wispy figure shimmered into existence, stretching out their hand. It flowed towards her at a fast pace.

"Oh man, this is definitely not normal." Jinx backed into a few of Leo's toys or whatever he called them.

Leo knew something was wrong when the waves would stop all motion and then continue. Same with the voices, mostly Coach's loud one.

He'd stop in between sentences and then he repeated the same exact thing like a broken record player.

"What the...?" He didn't understand why he wasn't like them. Why he wasn't effected.

Leo crouched in front of Jinx, he gently took the laptop from her grip. Slowly, he brightened up the screen because it was dark as shit and he couldn't see anything.

The search bar had 'Khaos Greek mythology'. He was curious, but he figured she wouldn't appreciate it if he snooped.

But it is my laptop...

He didn't have time to weigh his options. Jinx was causing a disturbance on the ship and around their surroundings.
Leo assumed a bad dream at the most. Like many of the nightmares that demigods usually get. But the strangest thing showed up.

Leo blinked twice, rubbing his eyes just in case he was seeing something wrong. But no matter what he did, the marks on Jinx's throat were becoming more apparent.

Sweat rolled down her forehead and goosebumps littered her arms.

The nightmare she was having was becoming pretty real.

"Hey," Leo shook her. "Wake up."

When she didn't budge, he resorted to lightly slapping her cheek. Pain often garners a reaction from people that they can't ignore.

Leo turned his head when Annabeth and Percy entered, but they came in and out at least three times saying the same things before they got even remotely close.

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked.

Percy subconsciously pulled out his pen, looking for a threat.

Leo gestured to Jinx's slumped body. "I'm almost sure she's having a nightmare and it's effecting the things around her."

"Can we fix it?" Percy crouched next to Leo.

He shrugged, looking in between the three of them. Leo brushed hair out of Jinx's face, showing them the marks on her throat.

"That's new." Percy remarked.

Annabeth squished in between them, "what the hell?"

But no one was able to answer because loud whisper shouting came from the puddle of Jinx's sweat, which was disgusting on so many levels but Leo didn't think now was a good time to get into that.

"Hey," Piper said from the Iris-message. "I've got a plan."

Leo turned his head to check on Jinx. Annabeth was laying her down, and Percy kept slapping her cheek.
"Stop doing that!" Annabeth scolded.

Percy raised his hands in defense, "I'm just trying to wake her up."

"Yeah, we kind of don't have time for whatever scheme you're cooking up."

Jason came into view, "trust me, you're going to want to listen to this."

Leo nodded along, agreeing to do his part. "Okay. Good luck." And the Iris-message ended.
He scrambled back to where Jinx was laid down. "Piper's got a plan to screw over the big guy."

Percy snickered, "I told Jason that not all half brothers get along."

"Um, sure." He pointed at something the others couldn't see. "I just have to set up a few things. Watch her, yeah?"

Leo pressed a button and the anchor slowly raised itself back up. He ran to put the oars into aerial mode.
"Alright, Aquaman." Leo awkwardly placed his hands on Percy's shoulders, hauling him up. "When you see the blond Superman send a good strong wave to the movie star, okay?"

Percy nodded, walking out.

"Gods, I hope nothing gets set back." He whispered to himself watching Jinx when a brilliant idea came to him.

He grinned, "okay. I have an idea, but no one's safety is guaranteed."