04.

"Today felt like an eternity. I'm so hungry." I say as we're walking back home.

"Here." Johnny says pulling the apple out of his pocket.

I smile and take the apple. "Thank you Johnnycake."

"So, Pony, what'd you say to Cherry?" I ask taking a bite of the apple.

"I said... yes. I know you don't like her and all, but she's a pretty cool gal, and I really hope you can be happy f-" I cut Pony off.

"I'm happy for you. I had no doubt in your pretty face." I say smiling and taking another bite.

Johnny could tell I was faking it, he took my hand as we continued to walk.

I had lost my appetite and threw the apple on the ground. "Now why'd you have to go on throw the apple? You only took two bites." Johnny said.

"Lost my appetite." I said.

"I'm telling Darry you haven't eaten all day." Johnny says.

"You haven't eaten all day?!" Ponyboy asks.

"It's not big deal. I'll eat later." I say.

"You're coming to my house right now and eating." Ponyboy demands.

"It's fine, I'll eat when I get home. I've been at your house too much." I say.

"Nonsense, come on." Ponyboy says dragging me into the house.

"Ponyboy no!" I exclaim.

"What's all this noise about?" Darry asks.

"Grace hasn't eaten all day, so I'm trying to get her to eat." Ponyboy says.

Silence feels the room as ponyboy sits me down. The silence goes away to the noise of a chair scrapping next to me. Steve had sat down beside me. "Why aren't you eating kid?" he asks.

"I'm kid now? Wasn't like that when you screwing me." I say.

Everyone looks at me. "What's going on with you?" Sodapop asks.

"Nothing! I don't feel good, I'm going home." I say grabbing my bag.

"You're not going alone." Steve says.

"I don't need your protection! I don't need any of you! I'm fine on me own, I proved that this morning." I yell slamming the door.

Steve runs after me. He walks by me quietly. My walking starts to get slower. "You okay?" he asks.

"I'm just hungry, stop worrying." I say.

He puts me on his back and carries me. "If I get too heavy out me down." I say.

"Yup." he replies.

"Thank you." I say quietly.

"You ain't gotta thank me. But you should know, I'm not... just screwing you. I like you, Grace." Steve says.