49 Crazy

It's November 5th.

In just two hours, I might become the youngest Vice President of 'Unlatched.'

Or it might be Lucas.

And that's fine... I'll be fine. I'll have to be fine.

It'd be selfish not to be. Deep inside, I know he's better than me and he deserves it.

But that doesn't stop me from panicking.

My palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy.
There's vomit in my throat already, it tastes like dairy.
I'm nervous, but on the surface I look calm and—

"You look nervous." Gia interrupts my Eminem concert, eyes wary across the lunch table. "Layla, you'll be okay, girl. Stop worrying about the meeting."

I push my untouched lunch aside. Right at that moment, Lucas walks in. His head is low with eyebrows knitted, I notice the tension in his jaw. As if feeling my eyes on him, he looks up, taken aback for a moment.

Then his face breaks into a bright smile, vanishing any traces of distress. I'm glad he doesn't catch my turmoil.

"You look like you might throw up." He leans his palms on our table and glances at Gia. "What'd you do to make her so sick?"

"Forgot to cover her eyes when you walked in." She clicks her tongue with regret, smiling cheekily at his glare. "She's nervous about the meeting, obviously. When's yours anyway?"

"Right after." He studies my face. "How are you feeling?"

I want to throw myself off a cliff. "Great, I'm great."

He narrows his eyes. "Mhm... that was so convincing."

I deadpan at him because what type of a question is that? I'm Layla. I panic when I'm five minutes late to a meeting and when my outfit doesn't match the weather.

"Well, I say we go out for drinks and celebrate." Gia chimes in, looking between us two. "You both deserve it and I'm sure you'll support whoever gets it."

"I'm down." I jump in a little too quickly and grimace inside. I really, really want to support him. But it might be hard to do it right away when my self-hatred starts chipping at me.

Lucas nods at her then leans to whisper in my ear. "Meet me where we film live videos in thirty minutes." He walks away before I can respond, but looks over his shoulder and winks when he catches me still staring after him.

"Ya'll are cute." Gia conceals her smile as she looks at her food. "Not subtle. But cute."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I check at my phone while she 'mhm's me. My eyes widen when I see an email from dad. "Oh God."

"What?"

"I got an email from my dad. Not his assistant. That means someone kidnapped him and held him at a gunpoint!"

"Dearest Laylay, I remember today is your promotion day. I will look forward to your results. Remember my tips. Make me proud. You're almost there."

"How touching." I choke, holding my chest. "I'm almost worthy." I put my palms together and look at the ceiling. "Please, God. Make me good enough."

"I hope you're joking."  Gia mutters.

"Oh, yeah. Any chances of impressing my dad went down the drain when I called Lucas daddy in front of him." 

Gia chokes on her drink, coughing violently. She gives me a 'what the fuck?" look and I brush her off like it's old news.

"What... is this?" I frown at the dozens of suspicious emails in my inbox. "Why do I have Greg from Petal Cafe asking me for a consultation?"