Chapter 10: Did Everyone See That? Because I Will Not be Doing it Again

Nora finished the walk over to Adventureland, finding herself a bit early for Jack's meet and greet. She'd decided to try and drop knowing who he was, at least for the time being. She thought maybe bringing Levi by would make it a bit less tense between them. After meeting Sam, and all the worry over Levi's health, it felt like a bad omen to try to go alone.

But she wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to see him.

She decided to head over to the cast entrance. Jack typically had a good time walking out in all his confident glory and it was fun watching guests walk by and do a double take. It wasn't every day you saw Captain Jack Sparrow, after all.

She was about to round the corner when she heard his voice, coming to a halt at his more annoyed tone. "I really think they should reconsider."

"Everyone else is fine with this change," the familiar negative voice of Sarah chided.
"You're the only one having a fuss and, of course, I'm the only one who has to hear it."

"I still say it's an awful idea," Jack said, his voice low, unmoving. Despite the lack of guests, he was still cautious. Unlike Sarah.

"Take it up with Sally."

"Have you even seen the part of my movie where an entire village of natives tried to eat me because they thought I was a god? This is very much the same scenario."

"Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll eat you. God, I hate being on stage with you."

Nora peeked around the corner. Jack was leaning back, eyes bugged out in a most Jack way. "I really don't see why you're the only one who doesn't get the appeal."

"Because I know you without the stupid hat."

Nora frowned. Was Jack a jerk when he wasn't a pirate? She shook her head at the conundrum of her statement, not to mention how ridiculous it was. She'd known Sarah as long as she'd known Jack and, sadly, Sarah was her least favorite CM. Well, the only CM she didn't like. All the others were delightful. Sarah just had a way of sucking the joy and magic out of the place. It was pretty weird how she hadn't gotten written up for it, as strict as Disney was. Then again, maybe Jack didn't tell on her.

Which would make it clear that he was a nice guy and not a jerk. But which was true?

They started walking towards her. She practically ran back to the line, making sure not to be the first in it. She didn't want to seem desperate, after all. 

Sarah started going through the normal spiel, her voice a bit more Disney cheerful as she asked guests to get out any autograph books and make sure pens were ready to go and that MagicBands were ready for the PhotoPass Cast Member. Jack took his place, welcoming the first family forward. Soon, a crowd of the more oblivious guests who didn't follow the meet and greet times started lining up behind the already long line, which Sarah had to cut off, causing quite a ruckus.

Which was great because it was her turn with Jack and the perfect time to ask him questions without Sarah overhearing for once.

He swayed once, gesturing dramatically at her. "Ah. I really hope you're not charging me for all these meetings, Nora."

"What?" she asked, her mind on her mission.

"You are a land shark, after all."

She stared blankly.

"A lawyer," he said, blinking in obvious disapproval of her slow upkeep.

"Ah!" If she hadn't been so short on time, she would have laughed. Instead, she gestured for him to come close, whispering, "Look, I'm sorry about the other day. And I'd say I'd stay out of your business, but I'm super curious—why doesn't Sarah like you?"