Chapter 23: Really Bad Eggs

This was the day. This was the day Levi was going to tell her she was Jack Sparrow. He was going to do it the second he saw her. He was going to tell her everything. He was going to apologize. He was going to offer to not be her friend, to buy her a mountain of Mickey pretzels and premium bars, as stupid as that was, to do whatever it was he could to make it right. Even if it hurt him. Even if it meant he never saw her again. And maybe that wouldn't necessarily be correcting his wrongs, but it was the best he could do.

            They were supposed to meet at the beginning of Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood Studios. Fortunately, it was a cooler day, but it didn't stop Levi's neck from already being coated in a layer of sweat.

            He was really, really tired of being sweaty. But that wasn't his focus today. He wasn't backing down. He was going to tell her. She deserved to know.

            Nora was wearing a Tower of Terror themed outfit. Bellhop ears and a matching wine red shirt sporting the Hollywood Tower. She looked stunning.

            But he didn't let that stop him.

            "Hey," he said as soon as she was within earshot. "I need to tell you something."

            "So do I."

            He didn't even hesitate. "I'm going to go first. The thing is, I'm actually—"

            "SURPRISE!"

            Levi nearly jumped out of his skin as a group of young adults strode up to them, most of them decked out in Disney themed shirts. Maddie was in the lead, followed by a bunch of girls and boys he didn't know and didn't want to know.

            "Maddie!" Nora rushed at her, tackling her into a hug with Maddie-like fervor, not at all surprised to see her.

            Levi could only gape. He thought this was supposed to be just the two of them, not them and a bunch of strangers.

            "Nora invited us all along, Levi." Maddie slung her arm through Nora's. "I hope you don't mind."

            It was bittersweet to see her have friends besides him. He was glad for it, though. He was sure they weren't liars.

            As much as he wanted to say he did mind, the hopeful expression on Nora's face made it clear that she wanted them all to have a Disney day. Together. "I don't mind."

            Maddie's eyes flashed in a sort of skeptic pity, as if she couldn't help herself. But then it was gone and she was clapping her hands together, introducing him to everyone way too quickly for him to actually remember their names.

            "So the two holding hands are Abby and Kayden. Kayden is my brother."

            "I'm a lot different than Maddie," Kayden said immediately, as if he was used to people looking at him bug-eyed if they'd met her first. Levi didn't doubt that. "It's really nice to meet you."

            "Hi, Levi." Abby gave a little curtsy, her outfit clearly Rey inspired. "I really like your Galaxy's Edge t-shirt. Very good choice."

            He immediately felt self-conscious, as if it wasn't a good choice at all. But her voice was kind and she sounded like she meant it.

"Those two are Samuel and Naomi. They're Miles' kids."

            Levi couldn't help but be a bit distrustful of them, even if he'd just met them. Or, at least, more distrustful than the rest of them. At least they didn't belong to Samson.