CHAPTER 1 : The hospital

Ella's POV

It's currently exam week and I'm prepping for tomorrow's exam.

I've been feeling a bit weird since this morning but only now do I realize that I'm coming down with a really bad headache. I feel cold too so I put on a jersey and my gown and decide to take a break from studying to nap for a bit. It's 4pm now and I know I'll wake up in a few hours so I head off to sleep.

I wake up at around 7pm. I felt cold once I took the blankets off of me to get up so I decided to move all my study notes to my bed to study here.

I guess my mom noticed that I hadn't been out of my room for hours so she came to check up on me. She looked at me seriously and said I looked flushed and came to put her hand to my forehead. She tells me to take off my extra layers of clothes so I took off my gown and jersey.

She said my forehead was burning up. Badly. And I hadn't helped that by taking a nap with 2 blankets and layered in clothes. My mom called my dad to come home and they decide on taking me to hospital since all the doctors offices are closed by now.

I wasn't expecting this though. The hospital? I thought I could just take some leftover medicine from last time my brother was sick but my mom and dad are adamant on going.

I'm kinda scared cause ya know, hospitals, but I'm more stressed. I have tomorrow's exam and with the way I'm feeling physically I can barely get anything to stick into my head. And it's alot of information to remember.

On the way to the hospital I just stared out of the window, and figured that it was nothing much and that I was just getting a fever that will break within the next 2 days or so.

When we arrived at the hospital, my parents sat me down on one of the chairs and went up to the information desk.

I look at my surroundings, there were other people seeming way worse than me yet they have to sit there and wait until they're called in, which sucks.

My parents came and sat next to me and my mom said we would have to wait until everyone here has gone inside.

I had already guessed that much.

Two hours later, we were still seated there and only a few people had gone inside to be helped. I was starting to doze off and laid my head against my mom's arm until a woman came through the entrance doors yelling and my eyes opened wide to see a younger man, probably the yelling woman's son, helping a teenage girl walk to one of the seats. From overhearing the loud woman at the information desk, the teenage girl, her daughter, had spilled boiling water on her leg. She looked like she was in so much pain. And yet they too, had to wait.

That was just the beginning of my night.

Almost two hours later in these uncomfortable chairs, my name was finally called. Coincidentally my old doctor is now a doctor here and will be helping me so my parents had already known him for years and I recognized him as well. That is a bit comforting for me, cause at least now it's not a total stranger.

The doctor asked about how I'm feeling and what my symptoms are like. I go on to explain that I have a high fever but felt cold and a really bad headache, with a bit of a scratchy throat but nothing bad.

The doctor nodded and took my temperature. My temperature is 40.2°C. The average temperature is 37°C. So I definitely had a high fever.

The doctor say's that's really high and tells me that I'll be getting an IV drip to hydrate as well as lower my temperature. I also had to urinate in a cup for the first time which was NOT pleasant and have my blood taken to be tested to make sure there isn't anything else wrong.

The IV drip going into my hand hurt like hell and literally brought tears to my eyes, but when they drew the blood it wasn't as bad since I'd gone for blood tests in the past. And the needle is much thinner than the one from the drip.

Once all my things have been taken off for testing, all we had to do was wait.

In the mean time, I checked my phone with my mom and dad sitting on the opposite sides of me while I'm laying on the bed. I told my friends earlier while I was in the waiting room that I was at the hospital. They all responded hoping everything went well but it was almost 12 now and I doubt anyone from my friend group was awake with an exam to write at 9am tomorrow. I was right. Only one person responded to my messages.

At first I texted my friends on the group chat but then after some time when no one responded I checked who had uploaded a status the latest and I saw a status update of about 20 minutes ago... but it was someone I haven't spoken to much. And it was someone who I was so scared to text first.
After a few seconds I was like, fuck it, I need a distraction while waiting on the results.

'Hey'- Ella

I looked at his contact name and chuckled. After about a minute he responded.

'Hi' - Cockroach

And with that, I started a conversation with my crush while laying in a hospital bed.

~~~