1

Chapter 1

The usual silence of the Preston manor was broken by the sound of the telephone. It's not common for the phone to ring but when it does, the call is usually important. I picked up the phone and greeted the caller.

"Good morning. How may I be of assistance?" 

"Carlton!" I heard Mr. Preston's voice. "You may have heard about Richard finishing his studies." he said.

I lightly slapped my forehead. I never heard the news but it slipped my mind that he mentioned something about his son's upcoming graduation. "Yes sir, I might have heard." I replied.

"Don't worry, you don't have to do anything." he assured me. "I have already hired an event planner. Actually, she's coming there today to inspect the venue. The name's Ashley."

I immediately noted the name in my head.

"Also, my son will be there tomorrow morning. Please make sure his room will be ready for occupancy."

"Will certainly do sir." We said our goodbyes before I lightly returned the telephone handset on its cradle.

I was left dumbfounded. Richard is finally coming home. I didn't know why but it made me slightly nervous. We were somehow close when we were younger but became strangers when we got older. The last time I saw him was five years ago and it was a memorable but not a pleasant encounter.

I was about to go upstairs to fix the young master's room when I heard the doorbell ring. It's probably the event planner. I opened the door expecting to find a lady but was surprised to see a muscular man in a plain white shirt instead. I raised my gaze to see his face since my eyes was only leveled to his chest. There's an air of familiarity about his face like I have probably seen him before. He looks like a supermodel in disguise especially with that black sunglasses.

Did Ashley sent him? Or Mr. Preston assumed that Ashley was a girl's name? To find out which is which, I asked him.

"Ashley?"

The man scoffed; seemingly annoyed about my lack of confidence about his identity.

"No." he replied.

"I'm sorry but you are?"

"Really Carl? It's just been five years and you had already forgotten about me?"

I cursed myself mentally. Is this Richard? I barely recognized him! He got a lot taller and gained some muscles compared to the last time I saw him. Plus his eyes were covered by the glasses he's wearing which made it harder for me to remember what his face looked like. I closed my gaping mouth and put on my neutral face.

"I apologize sir. Your father advised me that you would be arriving tomorrow morning."

He handed me his bag and entered the house. "And what's wrong with being early?" He asked.

"Nothing sir. I'm glad you're back." I replied.

"Jeez. Why are you calling me sir when you're a lot older than me? You used to call me Richie or whatever when we were younger."

"I was advised to call everyone ma'am and sir and now I'm just correcting my mistake."

He removed his glasses and hung it on his shirt. "By who? Robert? You believed that old boomer?"

"He trained me well sir." I defended my old mentor. "He taught me how to manage everything in this house before he left for retirement."

"Whatever." he bit his lip. "So you're what now? The head butler?" he asked sarcastically.

"At your service sir." I said and lightly bowed. "Or should I call you Richie?"

"Please no.  I can't imagine calling a grown up man 'Richie'."

He observed me for a minute before moving on his way. Clearly, he was no longer the Richard I knew  back when we were kids. I immediately disliked his new found personality when he insulted Robert, who's one of those who basically raised him when his parents were not present.

He went upstairs and suffice to say, I think he will be going straight to his room. The only problem is that, it's clean but not yet ready for occupancy. He was walking in a fast manner that I have to catch up with him before he could even open the door.

"Are you hungry sir? Would you like me to prepare a snack for you?" I offered. If he agrees, then that would give me a time to get everything ready.

"No thanks. I'm tired and I just want to sleep." he said.

I bit my lip. I'm running out of options. The only thing I have to do is to tell him the truth.

"I apologize sir but with your sudden appearance, we have not yet prepared the room for occupancy."

He stopped and stared at me looking offended. "Are you saying that I'm showing up unannounced at my own house?"

"No sir but rather a little early. If you could wait for a while in the living room while I put up some fresh sheets and pillows in your room-"

"I told you I'm fucking tired!" He cut off. His voice echoing in the silent hallway. It almost made me flinch in surprise.

"I'm sorry sir but-"

"If that's the case, I would rather sleep in your room then." he suggested. "I'm pretty certain it's neat."

"You mean, In the servant's quarter? I wouldn't recommend it sir. It's where I sleep."

"And so? Do you have a  problem with that?" he sounded more and more annoyed.

I shook my head. "No sir. My room is also your room. But you might have a problem sleeping in someone else's bed."

"Nope. I don't have a problem with that." he lightly slapped my cheeks twice and grinned mischievously like a devil. "And please, don't call it the servant's quarter, you made it sound like we have slaves in the basement."

We went down on the ground floor and went left of the kitchen until we reached my room. I opened the door and welcomed Richard inside. He was right, my room is actually decent. It was spacious and furnished enough to pass as one of their guest room.

He immediately plopped on the bed and sighed contentedly. His large frame almost occupying the whole  mattress. I laid his bag on a chair near the door.

"Would that be all sir?" I inquired as a final courtesy.

"Yes. Yes. That would be all." he replied with his eyes closed. I was about to leave the room when he spoke again. "You still with your girlfriend?"

I froze. And to think that I thought he has already forgotten about our last encounter.

"Pardon sir?" I pretended that I did not hear what he said earlier.

"Oh come on. You heard me. Are you still with your girlfriend?" he repeated.

"No sir." I mumbled.

"Glad to hear that. I don't want to sleep on some cum stained sheets." he casually said and covered himself with my blanket.  I almost gasped at his crude remarks. When I finally composed myself, I went out and instantly closed the door.

I felt myself burning with embarrassment. But why am I surprised though? He's an adult now. Five years can indeed change a person but I guess some memories stick with them. But man did he get more rude and crass.