13

Chapter 13

The shop was already eye catching from the outside with dozens of mouthwatering bread and desserts displayed on the window. Damien led me to their baking area behind the counter where we passed a group of people staring at the glass cases where more baked goods are arranged.

There were two other people inside the baking area but they were too busy preparing for the next batch to even notice that we have entered the room.

"For someone who just started last month, I think you're doing well." I complimented Damian.

"Thank you. I still haven't achieved my ROI but I'm glad it will be quicker than I anticipated. Anyway, this is what I wanted to show you." he lead me further inside and the two bakers finally noticed our presence. Damien just greeted them casually and they continued their work. We entered another room and it appears to be his office.

He opened a box of bread packaging revealing a delectable batch of pastry.

"Come on. Have a taste!" He urged.

I took one and had a bite on probably the most flavorful bread that I have ever tasted.

"Wow! This is great!" I exclaimed. "What is this?" 

"Just something I've been experimenting on. It's inspired by the different pastries I've seen and eaten in Japan."  

He handed me another set of box and implored me to judge it. 

Before taking a bite, I asked him another question. "By the way, you're hometown's on the other side of the country. How'd you get here?"

"It's not my choice really." he mumbled. "I've been assigned here by my previous employer and over time, I got sick from all the corporate bullshit." 

He looked at me like I must've relate to what he said so I just nodded my head in agreement even though I haven't got a clue on what he's talking about.

"I really don't want to experience the hassle of moving out again since I just settled here. You know? Ending your lease agreement, packing and unpacking your stuff, looking for a reliable movers..." he continued. "So I just said, 'fuck it! I'm gonna be a small business owner.' and that's what happened."

"From the looks of it, you're thriving. Kudos to you."

"So how was it?" he asked me.

"I preferred the first one you gave me. This one taste weird." 

He smiled and took the box from my hand "For improvement it is." he muttered. "How about you? What did you do after college?"

"Well... I told you that I worked for a rich family right?"

"Right." he agreed.

"Their majordomo retired after my graduation and I took over as their butler." I shrugged. "I know, others might say that I'm just wasting my degree but I'm actually satisfied with my current employment. Right now, I was assigned to become the executive assistant of probably the future CEO of their company."

"Richard." Damien mentioned when he remembered the name I introduced a while ago.

"Correct. Their family actually owns the Preston-Astor Group-"

"Holy shit dude!" I almost jumped from his sudden outburst. "That's awesome!"

I'm confused. "What?"

"Your network must be insane! Not to mention the things you might have witnessed."

"It's mostly mundane things anyway. Besides, they made me sign a non-disclosure agreement so I can't legally spill anything about their business or personal life even if I am no longer employed with them."