12

Chapter 12

I still can't believe I actually invited Richard if he would like to spend my day-off with him. If he would say no I would actually prefer that. However, if he says yes, I don't think he would enjoy how I spend my day.

"It's fine if you will decline." I followed up.

"Why would I? I would love to spend the day with you." he replied. He turned the car off and followed me outside with a smile on his face.

I never actually thought that he would say yes but I have to stand by my decision inviting him in the first place. 

"Is there some place you would like to go?" I asked him. I think this might be the time to show him around since many changes and progress has been made here since his last visit.

He rubbed his neck. "I don't know. I only remembered the French café that serves tarts and opera cake."

"Oh! Café Patina!" I exclaimed when I recalled what he was talking about. "Unfortunately they closed their shop a year ago. Now it's been replaced by a candy shop."

"Why don't you show me what you usually do during your day-off." suggested Richard.

"Um.. I normally just stroll around and visit different stores that catches my attention." I glanced at  Richard. "I know it sounds boring but I actually enjoy walking around with nothing on my mind."

"Then let's do that."

We made our first stop at the local bookshop. "Hi Carl! Good to see you again." said Mrs. Edith Woodhouse, the cheerful storeowner. 

I waved and returned the greeting. "Good to see you too Edith." 

She noticed Richard standing behind me and acknowledged his presence. "Good morning! How can I help you?"

Richard timidly smiled and murmured "Good morning."

"He's actually with me." I chimed in.

"Oh! How nice of you to bring your boyfriend. Lately I've been tempted to pair you up with my niece since you always come by the store all by yourself."

I haven't seen Richard's reaction but I felt my face heat up. "Uhm. Actually Edith, he's my boss. I'm just showing him around town." I immediately corrected.

"Oh. I'm sorry for that." Edith let out an awkward laugh. "What type of stories are you looking for today?" she tried changing the subject by asking me a question.

"I'm still unsure of what I'd like to read actually. Would you mind if I look around the store?"

"Not at all! I also have some newly arrived stocks but I haven't opened them up yet. If you're interested you can open the box at back."

I thanked Edith and made my way to the shelves. I grabbed one book that caught my attention with its title and read its synopsis when I felt the presence of Richard became closer.

"You didn't have to crush her like that. Have you seen her beaming when he thought that I was your boyfriend." he whispered in my ear. His statement alone made me fluster but his warm breath on my ear compelled me to tremble involuntarily.

I used the book I was holding to swat his stomach. I heard him cough twice from the sudden blow. Deserved.

"What? I don't mind pretending." he managed to mumble in between breaths.

"I do mind." I declared. "I'm a frequent customer here and I don't want people to have the wrong idea about me." 

"Wrong idea about what?" Richard asked.