9

Chapter 9

Here we go again with the awkward ride. I sometimes drive Mr. Preston to certain events and even though we doesn't talk that much, it doesn't feel awkward nor uncomfortable. But with Richard,  you can almost feel every second of time pass by. There's something about the aura as if you're being burned alive with every silent moment that pass by.

It doesn't help much that he's not keen on listening to the radio so all I can do is to shift my gaze once in a while to keep my sanity intact. As much as I want to fidget to entertain myself, I repressed myself from doing so because I don't want to look like a bored child with someone who's younger than me.

I almost said 'thank god' under my breath when his telephone rang, interrupting the lack of activity in the car. He connected his phone with the car stereo before receiving the call.

 "Hey son!" I heard Mr. Preston's voice. "Where are you right now?"

"Were on our way to work. Is everything fine?" Richard replied. "Carl's with me." he added as he stared at me.

"Hi Mr. Preston. How are you doing?" I greeted his dad as a way to let him know about my presence.

"Never better." he answered my question but immediately went back to talking to his son. "What car are you using?"

"Your black Cadillac. Why?"

"Great!" Mr. Preston cheered. "There's a number I will be needing and it's good that you're using the exact car where I kept the calling card."

"And what card is that?"

"A black calling card with the name of Albert Durand. It's in the glovebox. Please dictate his number if you found it." 

Richard gestured me to look into the glovebox which I did . The only problem was that, a lot of things was stored in the glove compartment so I have to dig through the stuff one by one to look for a small black card. The first thing that appeared into my view is a box of condom. I'm sure as hell that it was a new addition because I don't believe Mr. Preston would randomly store a box of condom in his car.

"What's taking you so long?" Richard whispered with annoyance.

"Uhmm. I'm still looking for it." I replied. 

When he saw that I was holding his emergency contraception, he cleared his throat and snatched it from my hand. "Give me that if that's what's bothering you." he mumbled unfazed.

I continued searching for the card until I found it. I notified Richard about my discovery and he instructed me to dictate the number to his father.

"The number is +1 646 -" I was interrupted when the car stopped abruptly and I was almost thrown out of my seat. Good thing I was wearing my seatbelt. Richard pressed the horn in a lengthy and angry manner.

"Is everything alright?" Mr. Preston asked over the phone. He must've heard all the commotion.

"Yes dad, just some irresponsible driver who drove past us." assured Richard. I was about to continue my dictation but then I realized that the card was no longer in my hand.

"I'll read out the rest of the numbers in a while Mr. Preston." I pressed the mute button and searched for the card while Richard continued driving. After some time, I saw the calling card just below Richard's leg near the gas pedal. I reached my arm below his leg but it was farther than I expected because my left ear was now touching his thigh. This startled Richard and I heard the tires screeching like the car went out the line for a few second.

"Whoa whoa whoa! What the hell do you think you're doing?" Richard snapped.

"I can't reach the card. It flew on your side." my head now fully leaning on his right thigh.