Chapter 35

Aaliyah POV

I feel my nerves shaking throughout all of dinner. Aaron makes sure to touch me in some way or another the entire time, with his hand on my leg or his arm thrown over my shoulders.

Zea must have sensed the turn of the feelings in the room as Aaron stays a little tense as his feelings leech off of my fear.

Quickly after dinner, she said her goodbyes and we went into the family room to cuddle on the couch.

I know that Aaron will do everything he can to keep safe, but he can't account for the doctor. Anderson isn't a shifter. He isn't even human.

He is the embodiment of the devil.

"You need to stop worrying, angel," Aaron murmurs into my ear.

"I can't."

He sighs loudly, "What can I do to make you feel better about this?"

"Just come back," I whisper, not knowing any other way.

"I always do," he laughs, turning me slightly so my body is laying over his legs, "The man I was on the phone with earlier is a lycan. Phoenix agreed to go with us."

"And he knows to watch out for you?" I mumble, my fingers clutching the front of his shirt.

Aaron laughs at my question, "I don't need anyone to watch out for me, angel. But if it will make you feel better, sure."

I use the back of my hand to hit his chest, "Don't placate to me."

He just keeps laughing deeply, his voice smooth like velvet.

"Angel, I love you. You have to trust me that everything will be okay."

I nod in agreement, "I know. I just worry about you. I can't lose you."

Moving his hands, he cups my face and brings me closer, "You never will."

Leaning forward, I place a gentle kiss on his lips. I pull back a fraction, my lips still barely touching his.

"I love you too," I whisper, my lips brushing his.

His eyes shift back between mine as he reads my thoughts, "My angel."

He pulls me forward and connects our lips again. I wrap my arms around him and my fingers run through his hair. Aaron shifts me around to straddle his waist.

I rub myself against him as we kiss deeper, our tongues battling. I feel him harden beneath me and I moan at the heat I feel through our clothes.

"Aaron," I moan.

Before I register the movement, Aaron has moved us around and my back hits the couch. He lowers himself over me and kisses down my jaw and to my neck.

Sucking on his mate mark, I moan loudly, "Aaron."

"I love you," he repeats over and over again, kissing me between each iteration, "I love you."

"I love you, Aaron."

Pulling him over my, I kiss him again.

"My angel."

*****

I wake up to the feel of heat against my back. I can hear his soft sighs as he sends calm and happy feelings over our bond.

Shifting slightly i bios arms, I turn around to find my peaceful mate pressed against me, "Aaron," I sigh.

"Angel," his whisper barely leaves his lips like a quiet reflex. His eyes flutter open to reveal the deep chocolate I love, "Morning."

His lazy smile heats my insides, "Morning."

I feel the blush overcome my face as I feel his naked skin still pressing into me.

Before I even have a thought of remembering last night, Aaron rolls us over and kisses me. I moan into his touch, feeling like I can't get enough of him.

"Aaron," I gasp as he runs his lips down my neck until he reaches his mark.

"I love you, my angel. Goddess, I love you."

"I love you too," I answer as he continues drawing pleasure from my body.

He starts to shift again to pick up exactly where we were last night when the shrill of our alarm clock rings through the room.

The frenzied spell breaks and Aaron places one last kiss on my lips before rolling off me and silencing the alarm.

I feel a wave of hesitation wash over our bond, "You're leaving for the hunters, aren't you?" I ask, even though I don't really need to. I know I'm right. I just hate it.

He nods his head solemnly, "We have to leave in an hour. We're driving most of the way so the hunters don't get wind of a wolf pack coming to them."

"I still don't like this," I confess, "Why do you have to go after them at all? Just stay here, safe and with me."

He sighs, leaning down to press his forehead to mine. I feel him send his strength through that touch and I try to soak as much of it up as I can, "They hurt you. Those hunters took you from your mother and the doctor tortured you. For years you were alone and in pain. I will not allow them to live."

I understand his hatred and anger, but understanding doesn't take away the fear, "They'll try to take you from me."

"Hey," he nudges my chin up when I look down, "I promised you that I will never leave you. I always come home to you. I keep my promises, angel. You need to trust me."

"I do trust you, but you are willing starting a battle and you can't promise your way to a victory."

"Watch me," he growls, "They hurt you and sent another group of hunters to try to hurt you again. They will die for what they've done. I will not allow them to hurt you again."

"But you're forgetting, Aaron. We're connected. One stray shot, one moment and they'll hurt us both."

"That's why my mom is going to stay right by your side the entire time I'm gone. On the chance that I do get hurt, and I won't, she'll heal you."

I understand his logic and I appreciate his forethought to bring his mom, but it doesn't change the fact that my mate is leaving me for a fight that could result in his death.

"I still don't like it."

"I know," he kisses my nose, "But it's all going to turn out fine. I'm going to make you safe."

By putting yourself in danger. I think the words, without saying them out loud. He's doing this for me, and I can't stop him.

All I can do is pray he comes back.