Chapter 10

Aaliyah POV

When I wake up again, I am alone. I feel a small pain in my chest at the idea of Aaron leaving me unprotected.

He promised me that I was safe and I want to trust him, but what if I'm wrong?

When I was with the hunters, there was a wolf shifter in the cell next to me. He told me to trust him and he would protect me, but when it was our turn to fight in the arena, he nearly killed me.

Will Aaron betray me too? I question myself. My broken mind questioning the one man who has done nothing but be kind to me since we met.

The door cracking open draws my eyes up to it. Scrambling off the bed, I move to put the bed between myself and the door.

The door pushes more into the room as a woman pokes her head in. She's beautiful with long blonde hair and soft blue eyes like an ocean's waves.

"Good morning, sweetheart," she smiles as she walks into the room, "I didn't think you would be awake yet."

I back up farther with every step she moves closer. Seeing my reluctance for her to be near me, she stops at the end of the bed and puts her hands up in a surrendering position.

"It's alright. Aaron told me that you weren't healed completely yet."

Feeling the slight pinch in my side from where I had been shot, I give her a hesitant nod.

She nods, "Would you mind if I look at it? I'm like a doctor and I think I might be able to help."

The moment she says she's a doctor, I pick up the closest object to me, which happens to be an alarm clock, and throw it at her. I hear the clock smash against the wall as I roll myself over the bed and rush to the open door.

"Wait!" I hear the woman call out behind me, but I don't turn. She wants to hurt me, just like the doctors before did.

My thoughts are so focused on escaping, I barely register walking into a solid wall when trying to leave the room. I push against it to rush past when the wall moves and wraps around me.

I smell the familiar scent of pine needles and honeysuckle surrounds me as my mind figures out that the wall I ran into is Aaron. I clutch his shirt and push my body into his.

Please protect me, I beg in my mind, hoping he will somehow hear me.

"Shh, angel," he whispers into my ear, "What's wrong?"

I whimper quietly when I hear the woman walk up behind me.

"I'm sorry, Aaron. I came to check on her. I thought she would still be asleep," she tells him, "I asked her if she would let me look at her wounds, but I think I scared her instead."

I see him nod to her before he places his hands to cradle the cheeks of my face. He gives me a soft look, his eyes giving me an apology without words.

I'm not sure what he is apologizing for though. Leaving me alone when he said he wouldn't or for telling a doctor to come here.

"Are you alright, angel?" he asks me. I give him a small nod yes. Turning me to face the woman, I see her smile sadly at me.

I still don't trust her and push my side farther into Aaron's chest as he wraps his hands back around my waist.

I watch both of their eyes get glossy for a moment as they use a mind link. I assume he is telling her that I can't actually talk.

"Angel, this is my mother," he smiles at me, "I promise you can trust her. She won't hurt you."

I stand there in shock at his introduction. This is his mom.

"It's nice to meet you," she smiles brightly. Her face lights up with the lifting of her lips as if she has wiped away the scene from a few moments ago, "Most of the pack calls me Luna, but I hope you'll call me Zea or even mom."

Her words bring tears to my eyes as I think of my own mother. The day I was taken, we had been separated in the attack.

Did she make it out? Is my mother alive? The questions hurt as I realize I don't have an answer and I may never get one.

"Please don't cry," Aaron whispers into my ear as his hold on me tightens, "I hate seeing your tears, angel."

I try to pull myself together, hoping his mother doesn't believe I'm completely crazy. Although that ship has probably sailed.

"Do you mind if she takes a look at your side? I just want to make sure it's healing," he says.

I shake my head as I move closer to him. Mother or not, she's a doctor. All doctors have ever done is hurt me.

I think he realizes what my fear is about as he shakes his head, "She's not a doctor. She's a healer. She's not going to hurt you."

My eyebrows draw together in question as I look back to his mom. Healers were gifted shifters. I never knew any in the packs I had lived in before.

"May I show you?" she asks, offering me her hand.

I place my hand in hers gently and I let her guide me back to the bed. Aaron stays beside me, somehow knowing that I need him close. She lifts the t-shirt I'm wearing to peel back the bandage on my side.

Looking down, I see the red around the healing wound. The bullet must have torn through my side for my body to still not heal from the damage. Although despite the pain, this has been the strongest I have felt in almost three years.

I watch as Zea places her hand against the red wound. Pushing down, I feel a soft heat radiate off her hands for a moment. She stays that way for a minute or two and then pulls her hand back to reveal my healed skin.

I run my hand over the spot, but I am met with smooth skin. No evidence at all that I had been shot. I look up at her with tears streaming down my face.

Before I realize what I am about to do, I throw my arms around her in a tight hug. She returns my embrace as she consoles my sobs.

I let go of her when the tears come to a stop. Aaron moves me back into his arms where I am leaning against his chest.

"Thank you," he tells Zea for me and I nod in agreement.

"I'll give you two some alone time," she smiles, standing up, "But I expect both of you at dinner tonight."

"Maybe," Aaron tells her, rubbing small circles over my stomach with his fingers, "I don't know if we're up to it."

I appreciate him using we, but they both know that it's me he doesn't think will be able to go. But his mom has been nice to me, even though I threw a clock at her. I don't want to disappoint her.

"Well I hope to see you tonight," she says before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

"If you're not ready, we don't have to go," Aaron says softly, "I don't want to push too much too soon."

Turning slightly so I can look up into his eyes, I see such hope reflected back at me.

I decide from now on I will try.

I don't want to be afraid. If Aaron is next to me tonight, I will be fine.

I want to be fine.

I don't want to be broken.