Chapter 17: Heart to Heart

Updates are going to be haphazard at best during this month because final year wants to take my virginity, and being completely fucked is exhausting.
:')

———

The twins watched Delphi walk away in disappointed silence, before turning to head toward Gryffindor tower.
"Any ideas..?" Asked Fred.
George hummed, undoing his tie, "she mentioned we should be glad we have a mum...It was pretty stupid of us to bring mum up anyhow since she saw hers die....but still, she freaked out after that...I'm confused."
"She didn't give back my blazer, bet she'll sleep wearing it." Fred tried to tease his brother, but they were still too disappointed with the end to their night for it to stick.
"Amortentia." George said to the fat lady.
The password had made them laugh at the start of the week, but it left a bitter taste in his mouth now. Delphi had relaxed at first...he had thought they had a special connection. It had felt...so easy and good, and he was so confused as to why she'd frozen up.

They entered the common room, which was still relatively full, but in no mood to joke and tease, they brushed off Angelina and Katie's jibes and Lee's questions, making their way straight to the dorms and not long after to bed. Sleep however would take them both a while.

———

Delphi woke up cold, having fallen asleep crying on her covers, clutching onto Fred's jacket.
She didn't want to face the day. Any day ever.

Reluctantly though, she did get up, discovering with relief that she'd risen early and the other girls were still out for the count.
Her hair was a mess of pins and half undone braids, but she eventually combed it out, before pulling it into a bun. She didn't feel free, so why should her hair.
Changing into a grey jumper and black jeans, she tugged on a set of open robes before turning back to the bed, only to stare at Fred's jacket.

She didn't want to give it back.
Keeping it would be unfair and weird.
Giving it back would mean talking to Fred.
Keeping it would be unfair and weird.
Damnit.

She picked up her bag, and after hastily spelling away the creases, placed the jacket inside.
She left before any of her roommates made a noise.

The common room was quiet enough that the curious stares weren't too unexpected, but by the time she hit the great hall, she had to accept that she was the number one topic of gossip. And by the glares, not in a good way.

Spying Luna, she settled beside her sister and picked up a piece of toast.
"You're surrounded by nargles, Phi." Stated Luna quietly, "and they are flying fast."
"Do you know why Lu?" She muttered under her breath.
The blonde hummed, "Badgers love their champion, and lions hold a soft spot for weasels. Eagles and snakes both prize dignity above all."
"Ah."

She ditched Diggory at the ball, and no one else knew they'd just gone as friends so the hufflepuffs were pissed. She'd gone with the champion but ditched him and disappeared off with the twins for several hours, so the Ravenclaws and Slytherins were giving her slut status. And she'd ruined the twins night so the Gryffindors were also pissed.
Oh well. Not like her reputation was ever something she'd cared about to begin with. And she knew the shield charm well if the school got worked into a righteous frenzy.
Didn't help her mood much though.

She picked at her food, appreciating her sister's silence, before she headed to the library to lose herself in work. She couldn't bear to look at the Gryffindor table.

———

Fred and George watched the hunched girl disappear out the hall without once glancing their way. They needed to fix this.
"So we're pranking her right?"
Blinking back to the present, the twins turned to eye Lee Jordan in confusion.
"What do you mean Lee?" Asked George, pushing his food around his plate distractedly.
Lee looked angry. "She messed one of you around right? And Diggory too. She deserves some karmic retribution."
"Where did you get that from mate?" Asked Fred, honestly confused.
"Huh?" Lee paused, looking between the pair, and the neighbouring Gryffindors also broke off their conversations. "The whole school's talking about it. It was not cool."