Chapter 25: Parent's Perogative

Sorry for unreliable publishing! It's likely to continue being variable until June due to my final exams. Hopefully by the end I'll have a bachelors degree though! Even if I have no intention of ever using it.

———

Molly Weasley had many aspirations for her children. She wanted to them to be happy sure, but she wanted them to be successful too if she could manage it.
She loved Arthur dearly, but there was more to life than romance and children, and with the reputation as blood traitors following her everywhere and barely a knut to spare, her life outside of her family was negligible.
She wanted more choice for her children, if they could get better reputations for the family, they'd have better lives in the long run, even if right now they resented her pushiness.

Charlie and Bill had followed vocations, they loved their work and although the danger of both careers terrified her, she was proud of them for that, even if working with dragons and goblins wouldn't help improve the Weasley name a jot.
Percy was her true hope, she knew she'd never curb the twins or Ginny and Ron was, well, Ron.
Percy was going into the ministry. He had manners, intelligence, ambition and determination and he'd be showing them to people of power on a daily basis. He was a little pompous but that was hardly an unusual trait at the ministry.

She'd expected his exploits to be the centre of her focus that summer, along with working to get darling Harry away from his horrid family.
She was not expecting the twins to be the most intriguing of her sons. They were always the mischievous pair, but they'd come back different that summer. Everyone was shaken by the events of the triwizard tournament, and the letter from Dumbledore had worried all her family deeply...but the twins weren't more sombre, they were just never there.
They spent every spare hour she wasn't giving them chores, at the Lovegoods.

Though they'd enjoyed joking with Luna the few times she'd visited Ginny, her boys had barely interacted with that bizarre family. Ever.
Irritatingly, despite her best efforts, neither boy would explain what they were doing there, so eventually she had had to resort to writing to Xenophillius, which never provided useful information normally, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

The reply sent her heart pulsing with excitement.

My most gyroscopic greetings, Molly,
I have indeed noted the increased chaotic energy present at the house and investigation has shown your geminites to be the cause, though they are quite excellent at clearing the nargles surrounding my moon and star so I have few objections. Dearest Delphi spends most of her time with them, and the resulting plimpy harvest has been absolutely marvellous!
May your gernumblies bless you yellow,
Xenophillius.

Many years with the Lovegoods as neighbours had taught Molly how to sift through Xenophillius' rubbish to the valuable points. The result in this case...was that the twins were spending time with a girl.
A very pretty and intelligent girl by all accounts. She was apparently the least odd of her family, and if previous complaints were to be recalled: fairly impervious to her twins distasteful pranking habit. It didn't matter which one had fallen for her, if anyone could stand her twins long enough to date...marry...tame them, she'd cry from relief.

She watched as the pair came down the stairs, furious at her inability to tell them apart. She'd tried for years but it felt like the harder she tried to distinguish them the more effort they made to be indistinguishable.
"Fred, George." She stated and they looked over groggily. One of them scratched his head and the other yawned sleepily.
"Yes mum?"
She smiled sweetly, "when you go visit Delphi today, please remember to invite her to dinner this week, perhaps Friday?"

She watched their faces drain in colour, confirming her suspicions - though it was strange that they reacted the same, she wished she knew which twin it was that had fallen in love. She enjoyed their panic though she'd never admit it - the pair had got their mischievousness from somewhere and it certainly wasn't from Arthur.
"What do you mean mum?" They asked together, clearly hoping to distract her with the synchronous talk that drove her mad.
"I had a lovely letter from Xenophillius so don't try and fool me you two. And it's been far too long since I last talked to that lovely girl. Invite Luna and their father while you're at it? It's been ages since the Lovegoods came for dinner."
They deflated but nodded their assent.
She smiled, ignoring the way all her children shivered.