13. Bad Timing

Loki hasn't left his room all day. He's finally gotten to a point in his magic, again, where he can shapeshift. Which, is really good timing because today, she is a she.

She's been practicing all day. It's a lot more difficult than she remembers but at least, for the first time in six years, Loki can finally look like herself.

She spent an embarrassing amount of time talking just so she could hear her voice, and standing in front of the mirror to look at her longer hair and gentle curves compared to the harsh ones associated with her male form. She doesn't remember the last time she felt so content with herself.

A knock rings on her door. Loki turns around and her eyes widen in surprise. She must have lost track of the time. You weren't supposed to be here yet—you weren't supposed to see her like this.

"Loki? Can I come in? I brought dinner," you call through the door.

Loki reluctantly walks over to open her door. She was supposed to change to her usual form before you came. This wasn't supposed to happen like this. You were going to stop being her friend because of this. That's what they all did.

You see Loki, look her over, and stay silent.

"Aren't you going to ask?" Loki says, her voice small. Your silence is killing her.

"Oh, yeah. What are your pronouns?" you ask, tilting your head.

Her eyebrows rose in confusion. Why weren't you mad at her?

"Aren't you confused on why I look like this? You're supposed to be disgusted," Loki growls, anger lacing her voice.

"Confused? Not really. Disgusted? Definitely not," you reply.

Loki deflates a little. "You're okay with it?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't I be? You're still you," you hold up the two plates your holding. "Can I come in? I'm hungry and arms are getting tired."

"Yeah, I guess," Loki says stepping aside, and grabbing her plate from your hand. She was confused. You weren't reacting like most people did. She couldn't tell if you were lying or actually being genuine.

"So, Loki, I finished the book," you say sitting on her bed, "You were right it was really good."

Loki hesitantly smiles and sits down beside you. "What was your favorite part?"

"Definitely the part when Bottom becomes a donkey," you chuckle.

"Yes, Bottom becomes an 'ass' how fitting," Loki jokes.

"Shakespeare and his puns, amirite?" you reply, starting to laugh. "Oh! I was thinking that we can start our own book club! Just the two of us. We pick a book and read it and when we're both done we can talk about it over dinner!"

"Like we are right now? I think that'd be nice," she smiles.

"Perfect! I think we should read...'The Princess Bride' next. When you're done with 'A Study in Scarlet' first, of course."

"I finished that a long while ago, don't worry. I can ask Stark to purchase two copies for us," Loki says, taking the first bite of her food. You were almost done already.

You smile. "Sounds good! Now, how about that Sherlock Holmes? Did you like the book?" you ask.

"It was okay. I think it would have been better if they had established the killer as a character before they caught him."

You nod. "I can see that. The whole portion of the book set in like Montana, was really weird as well."

For the rest of the night you both talk about books and other random stuff. You two were going to be just fine.

-

a/n: okay, but what about *screams*