03

Even though Luke's mother doesn't know the specifics of Luke's sadness, she still knows the sadness is there. She can see it in his eyes and the way he carries himself that there's a dark cloud that constantly hangs above his head. She tries to talk to Luke as much as she can, but Luke's a seldom guy who's harder to crack than you think. It's hard for Liz to get Luke to talk to her, because he simply doesn't say much to begin with.

So, in response to this obstacle in their relationship, she signed Luke up for a therapy group. He's been going to these sessions for the past 4 months, in which he spends every Wednesday in a stuffy room at the town's recreational center with a bunch of other kids his age (also some younger, some older) and talks about his problems. He usually doesn't speak, but recently he's been able to say a few more words than usual.

Today Luke had a session at 4:30 PM. He had just enough time to get home, shove all of Ashton's homework (for him to do later) on his desk, and catch a ride from it mom to the rec-center. He doesn't really mind going to these things, because believe it or not, sometimes the actually help him. He likes the fact that there are other teenagers in his town that don't like themselves either, and that for the most part they don't care enough about Luke's life to judge him. Another plus, is the fact that none of people in his therapy group go to his school.

As Luke was pushing his way into the room, he saw the familiar sight of a circle of chairs in the middle of the room, with a few shy people already sitting down and ready to go. Everything else about the space was pretty bland: white walls, tan carpet, a ceiling fan turning cool air through the room. Luke liked it that way, though.

"Hey Luke!" one of the counselor's said from where they were leaning up against one of the walls. His name was Wilson and he was pretty cool to talk to. Luke stopped once he was through the door and waved back, finding it hard to look him right in the eyes. Luke has a hard time making eye contact with people, unless it's Ashton. Ashton always makes Luke look him in the eyes when he beats him up - he assumes its some part of Ashton's sick game.

Last Friday, Ashton, Michael, and Calum all jumped Luke after school. It was raining out and Luke was just trying to get home, but since the field was closed for the day the guys had nothing else to do, so they followed Luke off of school grounds and beat the living crap out of him. Luke can clearly remember Ashton calling him an ugly freak and shoving him to the ground, punching him repeatedly in the gut while his friends laughed. They always laughed. Ashton always made him look him in the eyes. His eyes are terrifying.

Maybe I can talk about that. Luke thought to himself as he grabbed himself a seat in the circle. He smiled and waved to a girl who was 2 seat down from him. Her name is Rosie. From what Luke knows about her, she goes to the next school over form Luke's and her family is falling apart. She doesn't talk much but the two of them have had a few conversations before.

Next came Matthew, who walked through the door and said hi to Wilson as he took a seat. Matthew has some drug issue or something, at least that's what Luke has gotten from all he's talked about in the past. To be completely honest, Luke doesn't know much about the people in his therapy group, but he's just happy to know that he's not the only one out there currently struggling.

"Hello everyone," Wilson said once all the chairs were filled. Luke recognized the people who sat around him, but he didn't know their names or anything. He tried to remember everyone's name, but 9/10 times there's always something else he'd reather think about (which was always Sam).

Another counselor, Sue, walked into the room and pushed her big circle-framed glasses up the frame of her nose. She was around 30 or so and Luke would say she's pretty hot, but Luke could never do that. He feels weird saying that a girl other than Sam is hot, older than him or not. He almost feels like he's cheating on Sam, as weird and obsessive that sounds.