Once Upon a Time

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 5

Once upon a time

Harper

After closing down the bar last night I had to clear my head. I had offers to go out, I had offers to stay in. None of them were appealing. So I went home with a six pack of beer, turned on ESPN, and tuned out. I don't remember the scores from last night, I don't even know who played. I spent a good chunk of the night staring at the TV and thinking about her.

I couldn't sleep. I tried. I tossed and turned, and every time I closed my eyes, I saw her. With him. Tyler Emerson, Blake Bradford's buddy and Frankie's new boss. What does she see in a guy like that? So he's got money and fame. Who cares if he can give her anything she wants, that doesn't mean he can make her laugh. It doesn't mean he'll listen to her, stand by her, stand up for her. There's no guarantee he'll take care of her.

And thinking about this has only pissed me off more.

Fuck it! I need to blow off some steam and get her out of my head. Frankie has made her choice and I'll make mine. Tossing covers off me, I crawl out of bed and throw on an old t-shirt that's seen better days and my old gym shorts. Tying up my shoes, and putting some good old hard rock on my tunes. With my earbuds in, I take off out of the quiet house and into the still dark of dawn.

A long run along the beach will do me good. I can clear my head, get some exercise in, maybe I'll even stick around long enough to watch the sunrise over the surf. And I'll figure out how to move on without her in my life. Cutting through the parking lot at Santa Monica Pier, I head down to the sand and run.

No one is here this early but me and a few seagulls. They cry over my head as the cool salt air fills my lungs. Deep breaths, in and out, every few steps. The words of Van Halen asking why this can't be love running in my head.  Wrong song for this morning. Switching tunes, I speed up my step as Billy Joel sings all about soul. What the fuck am I listening to?

Stopping, I pull out my phone to see what song list I got stuck with. This isn't mine. Not that I don't like the music, I do, but this isn't what I run to. It's definitely not what I would have chosen for today. Then as I open the app, I see what it is. It's Frankie's workout music. This is what goes through her head when she's working out. Who is she thinking about?

Looking around, I don't realize how far I've run, until I spot Maggie's beach house. Flowers bloom wildly in different sized pots along the back deck. A couple of boards are leaning against the railing. Lily's bright yellow sedan and Frankie's green bug sit in the drive. Frankie's new place.

Shit! I must have unconsciously come this way. Slowing down, I cut through the sand and started walking back up to the road. I should get out of here before she sees me. She'll probably think I'm stalking her. I made enough of a fool out of myself last night. I don't need to screw things up any more.

Passing the side of the house, I notice a light on in the kitchen. One of the girls is up. Frankie must be getting ready for work this morning. Her first day as Emerson's assistant. I hope he appreciates her. She's a hard worker, and she'll do everything he asks. I know her too well, she'll do everything to make sure she doesn't fail. She doesn't want to come back, it would be like admitting she made a mistake.

She won't fail. I'm certain of that.

Hearing the bang of the front door, I turn around and freeze in my tracks. My eyes bug out seeing the short black blazer over a line green silky top and that little black skirt that makes her golden legs go on for miles. Balancing on some dangerously high spikes, she locks up the front door and turns.