Chapter Four- A Dreaded Date

Copyright © 2013 by SimpleHumanBeing

Chapter Four- A Dreaded Date

Estelle Desmand

"Come on Estelle," Hope urged as I moved the whisk around the bowl filled with pancake batter.

"No," I stated firmly. We were currently in the kitchen of the diner, and Hope was urging me to take the guy, who'd asked me on a date up on his offer. He was some big shot from out of town, and I honestly had no interest in him.

"Why not?" She whined rolling her bottom lip out in a very childish matter.

"Because," I told her, pouring some of the batter into a frying pan, and placing the rest on the counter.

"Because why?"

"Because I want to spend time with Ava tonight, she spent the night at Johnny and Cara's last night and I miss her." I explained, grabbing a spoon, scooping some butter on to it, and spreading it over the already made pancake that was sitting on the end of the counter.

"He said he wanted to take ya out at five. You'll have plenty a time to spend with Ava when ya get home. And if ya end up spending the night with him, well than let's just say auntie Hope is ready!" Hope said, and I had to laugh at her enthusiasm.

"Hope, you know I ain't gonna have sex with a random guy," I said shaking my head. "Thanks for the offer, but I seriously don't wanna go on a date."

"Come on Estelle. You've like, never had sex."

"If 'I've like, never had sex,' then I wouldn't have Ava, you idiot." I said, looking at her incredulously.

"I know that," Hope said giving me a 'duh' look. "But ya haven't had sex since Beau." She informed me, looking as if she couldn't believe it.

"My sex life is none of your concern." I told her feeling a light blush creep onto my cheeks.

Hope rolled her eyes. "Fine, you don't have to have sex with him, just go on a freakin' date."

"No."

"Ugh! You're so lame!" Hope said, exasperated.

"And you're so mean. Not mention childish." I countered turning my attention to the pancake that was currently in the pan. I grabbed a spatula, and flipped it, grinning when I saw it was golden brown. Perfect.

"Says the person who just called me an idiot. 'Not to mention childish.'" Hope gave me an innocent look. "You owe it to me to go on this date."

"Fine!" I gave up, pounding my fists down on the counter. The spatula, that was in my hands flinging pancake batter onto my face.

Hope chuckled, and I pointed to the plate on the counter. "Go give that to Mr. Walker, and tell Mrs. Walker that I'll have her's ready in a minute." I demanded angrily as I wiped the the batter off my face with my shoulder.

***

I stood in front of the mirror examining my appearance. My hair was done up in a half ponytail, little curls framing my face. I had a lot of makeup on, so much I was worried that some of it would wear off during this long, dreaded date. Hope had insisted on fixing me up, and I was pretty sure she'd over done it.

My eyelids were covered with dark gray eyeshadow. Hope said she'd seen the look on one of the magazines that she read. I usually didn't wear mascara because my eyelashes were thick and full, but Hope had insisted I did. We had gotten into an argument about the eyeliner, I said I didn't want her to put it on because it tickled, and when she went right ahead and did it anyway, I'd been mad, so I yelled at her.