The Fair. 16

MELISSA

"No. Please, call me Stefan. It feels right when you do it."

Prince Alexander's words echo in my head as we head back to his chambers, his hand still tenderly holding mine, fingers laced as he helps me up the stairs and I still can't find the words to say to him.

Do I even say anything at all?

Do I dare risk saying anything that will ruin this beautiful and fragile moment?

He has never held my hand this long...so maybe it's more than a moment.

Then again... I could wake up tomorrow and he would be back to his default character.

It would be like a dream, like this never happened, like he never held my hand, or pulled me into a hug or whispered in my ear.

"Are you okay?" he asks once we're safely within his chambers, stopping at the door and turning to me and I can only force my lungs to breathe.

"You haven't said a word since." He adds, a concerned look in his eyes and I can't stop staring at them, waiting for the look to change, to turn into that familiar look of impatience or disappointment....or even anger.

"Melissa." He says softly and I let out a breath I had no idea I was holding.

"Stefan." I say slowly, like I'm taking my time with each letter, waiting for him to change his mind but he doesn't react.

"Did I make you feel uncomfortable?"

"N-no, you didn't--"

"Was it the hug?"

"No, Your Majes—I mean, Stefan." I stutter and he smiles a bit, the corners of his lips visibly tilting in the moonlight.

"Is that it? The change in how you call me, is that what's making you act so cautious?" he asks and I look away from his eyes, suddenly unable to handle the honesty in them.

"Why?"

My voice comes out small and I can barely hear myself, but I know he does from the way he shifts a little.

"Why what?"

"Why the change?" I manage to say and I hear him chuckle a bit.

"You've called me that already, remember? Twice, if I recall. And--"

"Not just the name." I say, looking up at him again, "You held me close, you're holding my hand.... moments ago you weren't this person."

His gaze darts to our linked hands, then back to my face, a worried look in his eyes.

"And that scares you?" He asks and I want to say No, but I can't help the feeling that he will know I'm lying.

So I remain quiet and Prince Alexander sighs a bit, then lets go of my hand and I suddenly want to take back every word I said.

"I'm sorry about that." He says, but he remains standing in my front, observing me.

"I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable or scared. I just want you to know that... I see things different now, and I wouldn't have been able to do so or even notice the change within myself if you hadn't helped me. So you don't have to address me the way the people do, especially since you're royalty...and my wife to be. If you're Melissa to me, then I'm Stefan to you."

Then he lifts his hand to my face and tucks away a stray lock of hair behind my ear.

"Goodnight, Melissa." And with that, he goes back to bed, leaving me speechless.