The Plan. 28

"It all makes sense. That's why Rupert was the first person to make an attempt on Melissa's life, because he was the closest person Caspian could get to and brainwash by using their service in the castle as a reason. They both could relate to working for you and so he just shared his motive." Felipe says thoughtfully as he paces the throne room and I just stare at my bruised knuckles, trying to piece everything together. We hadn't gotten a chance to talk about the situation when it happened yesterday because I wanted Caspian hanged and Felipe suggested I was too angry to make a decision yet.
And he was right.
We still have to catch King Gregory, and we can't do that if Caspian is dead.

"That's also how the killer got in Melissa's room without anyone knowing...Caspian let him in. Same with the archer at our engagement ball." I mutter, realising how blind I was.
How trusting I was that I didn't notice my own manservant had tried numerous times to kill my Melissa....right under my nose.
"And when we went to the bridge...Caspian must have been the one who pushed Melissa over. He couldn't have found someone to do it that fast and no one even knew about us going there apart from you two."

"I think he killed Rupert..." Felipe says and I look up at him, surprised.
"Think about it. He was the one who convinced Rupert to poison Melissa's food and when he found out about the ultimatum you gave Rupert--"

"He got rid of him." I say, realisation hitting me. "Because I know Rupert was willing to give anything just to see his mother again."

"Plus there's no way Rupert could have successfully strangled himself with a piece of his cloth so swiftly."

"What have I done?" I mutter, guilt hitting me as I drop to my seat.
"I can't believe Caspian turned into such a vengeful person all because of me, Felipe. And I was so cooped up in my power and stubbornness that I didn't even notice. I risked Melissa's life, the lives of my staff...even mine, all because I trusted someone--"

"Whom you were meant to trust. This is not your fault, Your Majesty...don't blame yourself."

"But Caspian turned out the way he did because--"

"Because he had issues of his own to deal with. I've known you right from when you were born and you don't see me plotting to vengefully ruin your life." Felipe says in a comforting manner and I look up at him, now standing close to me.

"I shouldn't have cut off his hand." I say and he nods.

"Yes, you shouldn't have. But it's done. Caspian is a conspirator and a murderer who committed treason against his kingdom and his king. I hate to say it, but...he deserves no mercy." Felipe says and he firmly grasps my linked hands in a reassuring manner.
"You should be with Melissa. I will go talk to Caspian, and I won't leave until I find a way to use the information I'll get from him to lure King Gregory here....and make him admit to his crimes."

****

MELISSA
I watch as Frederick pours the mixture into a vial and hands the vial to me, his eyes filled with concern.

"Thank you, Frederick.' I say and slip the small vial into my sleeve, all the while too aware of his watchful eyes on me.

"You're welcome, Your Highness." He mutters and just as I turn to leave, he adds,
"But, I do believe you should at least let Prince Alexander know what you're going through. You shouldn't be dealing with this alone you know."

"I know." I say, turning back to him, "But this whole thing with Caspian is really getting to him. He's going through a lot right now and I don't want to bother him any further."

"He is your husband to be, Your Highness. If you don't tell him....then who?" he asks and I sigh, knowing he's right.

"Thanks again, Frederick." I say, not wanting to extend the conversation any further and leave the place, the vial feeling like a heavy secret in my sleeve. I know Frederick is right about me telling Prince Alexander what I'm going through...but every time I tried to sum up the courage to tell him, he always appeared preoccupied thinking about Caspian's betrayal.
I just don't want him to be more worried than he already is.
As I get to the door of our chambers, I tug at the sleeve of my gown to make sure the vial is safely hidden before I walk in...only to see Prince Alexander by the window, his head lowered in thought.

"Stefan?" I call slightly as I slowly walk towards him and he turns to me, his expression laden with guilt and remorse.

"Mel." He murmurs, watching me. "I came in to check on you but...you weren't here."

"Are you okay?" I ask as I reach him and he forces a smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"I should be asking you." He says as he takes my hand in his and places his other hand on my stomach, which is still flat.
"How's the baby?"

"The baby's okay." I say, observing him.
"Stefan...what's wrong?" I ask and he sighs.

"It's nothing."

"No, it's not. Talk to me." I say and his gaze finally meets mine.
"Is this about Caspian?" I add and he nods.

"I just can't get it out of my head, Mel. I'm angry at him and at the same time...I feel terribly guilty. That person in your cottage that pointed a dagger at you, that said he wanted me dead...that person is not the Caspian I thought I knew. That person is a monster I created."

"Don't say that."

"But it's true. All that rage and all that anger... all that need for revenge all came from a place of hate. And that hate wasn't there when I met him, Melissa. It grew and festered in him all because I was such an arrogant, selfish, awful person---"

"Stefan, stop." I say, surprised at the words he is saying. "Whoever Caspian turned out to be has nothing to do with you."

"But that's not true!" he yells, moving away in frustration.
"It's the same thing Felipe said but I know it's not true! We all know it! Do you think he would have wanted so badly to kill you and make me suffer if I had been a better person to him right from the start? Do you think he would have gone as far as plotting with King Gregory to ruin my life if I wasn't such an arrogant Prince? I mean look how easy it was for him to convince Rupert!"

"If I were to count every single arrogant person in this kingdom, how many do you think would already be dead simply because of how annoying they were? How many do you think are being plotted against because they were not their best to the people around them?" I ask, walking towards him.
"I'm not saying it's good to be that way or it's justifiable...but people can be difficult like that and it's not up to anyone to try and take revenge or teach them a lesson by trying to ruin their life. When I started living in the castle, you were the last person that was nice to me...but I never even thought once of harming you. The worst I could think of in that situation was just to run away. And shortly after that...you changed! I witnessed it, we all did! But it didn't stop Caspian from trying to hurt you or even kill me did it? I mean he threatened to kill my sister if I didn't kill you first!" I say and he sighs, looking even more remorseful.

"I know... and I'm so sorry about that--"

"You shouldn't be, Stefan. Don't you see?" I ask as I take his hands in mine, "Caspian turned out to be this person because that's who he is. Only a true despicable person will think of killing a little girl and use that as a threat. It has nothing to do with you, okay? Absolutely nothing."
I watch as his guilty expression fades and he takes in a deep breath and lets it out.

"You're truly a queen, you know that? My perfect queen." He says with a smile and I let a smile break loose too as relief floods me.
"I love you, Melissa."

"I love you too." I say and lean into his arms in a warm hug...all the while too aware of the vial in my sleeve.

"I should go join Felipe at the cellars where he's talking to Caspian," he says as he pulls away a little to look at me, his green eyes filled with admiration. "And when we figure out how to get King Gregory, we'll put it to effect tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? That's really close."

"Exactly. I'm not wasting any more time or risking any more lives, Mel. From what I gather, King Gregory will be waiting to hear from Caspian any time soon concerning what he asked you to do and....." he trails off instantly and I watch as realisation dawns in his eyes.
"That's it. That's how we get him." He mutters and I frown.

"How? I don't get--"

"I'll explain everything tonight, okay? But I have to go now. I love you. Stay with the guards." he says and kisses me quickly before rushing out the chambers.

*****

ALEXANDER
"Where is he?" I demand as I walk into the cellars towards Caspian's cell and the guards part ways for me. Felipe turns at the sound of my voice and I join him at the door of the cell.

"Your Majesty, is there--" he begins but I cut him off.

"Has he said anything?" I ask as my gaze sets on Caspian sitting on the floor of his cell, glaring at us despite his face being swollen with bruises and his hand wrapped in a bloody bandage.

"I'm afraid not. He just keeps sitting there, muttering to himself."

"He's stalling." I say, turning to Felipe. "He is supposed to give feedback to King Gregory any time today and he knows if he stalls long enough...King Gregory will figure out something has gone wrong."
Felipe and I turn back to Caspian, now staring at us with a bit of fear in his eyes.

"How do you get your messages to King Gregory? Where do you meet him?" I demand and he remains silent for a while, then a sinister smile forms on his face and he tilts his head at us in a smug manner.

"It's either you speak now or--"

"Listen to me, you smug bastard!" I say, cutting Felipe off as I grip the cell bars, "I don't know what sort of game you think this is but I'm NOT risking Melissa's life or anyone else's any further! So you better start talking or you'll lose more than just a hand!" I warn, but Caspian doesn't say a word and I turn to the guards.
"Open his cell." I say and they instantly do it.

"Your Majesty--" Felipe calls but I walk in with the guards and Caspian stares up at me now, looking scared.

"Lift him up." I say and they grab him by the shoulders and pull him to his feet.
"For the last time, where do you meet King Gregory?" I ask and he just stares at me, saying nothing.
I nod at his bloodied hand and one of the guards grabs it, pulls off the bandage and pierces a small knife into the stub, causing Caspian to scream in agony.
"WHERE?" I demand.

"The woods!! It's in the woods!" he cries in pain, "West of the kingdom, towards the rocky terrain!" he yells and I nod at the guards to release his hand. Caspian collapses to the floor, groaning in pain.

"You're going to write King Gregory a message, telling him Melissa escaped and to meet you there tonight. Then you're going to show us where you kept all the letters you've been exchanging since this whole thing started."

"I am NOT your manservant anymore!" he yells and I squat to his level.

"No. You're my prisoner. So you do as I say...or you do it in pain." I say and this time, he doesn't respond.
"Get him a paper and a quill. I want that message written as soon as possible."
And with that, I get up and leave the cell, Felipe following me from behind with a confused expression.

"Where exactly are you going with this, Your Majesty? King Gregory can't see Caspian in this state...he will know they've been caught."

"I know. That's why he's not seeing Caspian at all." I respond, still moving forward and Felipe moves to stand in my front, stopping me.

"I don't understand. If that's not your plan then why are you planning for King Gregory to be there tonight? You do realise we cannot just capture a whole King just like that, right? Greenland will--"

"Felipe, trust me, okay? I don't want to capture him... not tonight anyway. All I need is for King Gregory to receive the message and get there. When he doesn't see Caspian, he will definitely leave a message for him. Now I know it might not be enough proof, but that's where the blacksmith comes in."

"The blacksmith?" he asks, still confused and I nod, excited.

"Yes, the blacksmith from Greenland who made the weapons. You're the only one who knows who he is and I need you to find a way and get him here by tomorrow. We're going to invite King Gregory and his royal council for a feast of truce, and when he comes with the idea that Melissa ran away--"

"Say no more." Felipe says, a look of pride and satisfaction on his face.
"I will make plans for the feast and send the invites right away. And before the day ends, I will make sure the blacksmith is here."

"Thank you, Felipe. I'll arrange for some guards to be waiting with me at the woods, so when King Gregory comes and leaves the message, we'll take it."

"Your father would be really proud of you." He says with a smile as he pats me on the shoulder, then walks away...leaving me with a warm feeling.

****

MELISSA
I walk towards the window, looking beyond the castle walls for Prince Alexander and the guards he left with...but there's no sign of them at all and I let out a sigh as a cold breeze blows in, toying with my loose hair.
It's already night...where is he?
I hope he's okay... at the same time, I'm slightly relieved he's not back yet. Maybe now I can drink from the vial Frederick gave me before Prince Alexander comes back.
Slowly, I head for the table beside the bed and pull out the vial from where I had hidden it, observing the slight yellow colour of the liquid inside.
This better work.
I pop off the cap and bring the vial up to my lips just as the door opens and Prince Alexander walks in. Instantly, I stand to my feet and hide the bottle behind me...but I can already see the suspicious expression on his face as he observes me.
"You're back." I mutter and he just shuts the door.

"I am. Are you okay?" he asks, pulling off his gloves and I nod.

"Mm-hmm."

"What...what was that?"

"What was what?" I ask and almost slap myself in the face when he raises a brow at me.
He caught me.

"The vial you were about to drink from. The one you're hiding behind you right now." He says firmly as he slowly walks towards me and I clench the vial in my fist, my heart thudding.

"I-It's nothing."

"Then why are you hiding it from me?" he asks and this time, I have no answer.
"Melissa...why are you with a vial? What's in it? Who gave it to you?"

"It's nothing serious, I swear."

"Melissa, a few days ago you slit your wrist. You're pregnant with our child and I walk in on you trying to drink from a vial which you're hiding from me and you're telling me it's nothing serious?" he asks, sounding worried and at the same time, upset.

"Stefan--"
He reaches out his hand, palm open.
"Hand it over." He says but I remain standing still, the vial firmly clasped in my fist.
"Does this have to do with Caspian? With King Gregory? Did he send someone--?"

"No, no...It's nothing like that." I say and he sighs, his eyes filled with worry.

"Listen," he starts as he steps closer, "We are so close to putting this whole charade behind us. To sleep without being scared and go out without feeling worried. But I can't put this thing behind us when you start acting this way. You're scaring me, Mel."

"That's exactly why I was hiding it from you. You're already handling so much already and this is just something small that I'm dealing with--"

"If you're dealing with it then it's not small to me. And you don't have to do it alone...I don't care how busy I am. So can you please tell me what it is?" He pleads and I let out a sigh as I succumb, bringing my hand from behind me to hand him the vial.

"I've been having trouble sleeping for some time now...and when I try to get some sleep, I end up having nightmares." I admit as he observes the bottle, then he looks up at me.

"For how long?" he asks and I look away.

"Since I found out I was pregnant." I mutter, toying with my fingers.
"I keep getting scared that something might happen to the baby, especially with everything that has been going on. And whenever I sleep for a while, I just keep having these nightmares of someone hiding in the room again or capturing me and I--" My voice breaks at that point and I burst into tears, just as Prince Alexander pulls me into his arms, enveloping me in a warm embrace.

"It's okay... it's okay Mel." He whispers and I lean into his hold, unable to hold back my tears.
"So this was supposed to help you sleep?" he asks after a while and I nod.

"I asked Frederick to give me something that would help me sleep. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I just didn't want to alarm you." I cry and he holds me even closer.

"Shh... it's going to be okay." He mutters against my hair while he rubs my shoulders and it feels like I've let go of a weight I didn't know I was carrying.
"I'm here for you...okay?" he says as he pulls back a little to look at me.
"I understand why you felt the need to keep this from me but you don't have to, Melissa. And you shouldn't. Your happiness is my happiness, and I will only relax when you're okay. There's no way I won't be worried when you're worried...so please don't hide things from me anymore okay?" he says and I nod.

"I won't. I promise." I say and he plants a kiss on my forehead.

"I'm sorry I've been so distracted with everything. But I assure you there's nothing to be worried about, okay? I'm here for you and for our baby...and I will never let anyone come remotely close to harming you both ever again." He says and his words fill me with relief.

"I know. I think I'll put off taking the mixture for tonight." I say and he smiles.

"Not to sound paranoid, but that makes me feel better." He says and I giggle.

"Where you able to see King Gregory at the place? Did he leave a message?" I ask, unable to hold my curiosity and Prince Alexander smiles with satisfaction.

"Yes and yes. Everything is in motion now and by this time tomorrow, this whole thing will be over."