Where You Are [Zoro x Reader]

Notes:
-Pre-timeskip beginning.

<<>>

You hummed a tune as you watched Zoro work out, counting his reps,  losing count, counting again, losing count again. Sweat glistened on his skin and his exercise seemed to sync up with your humming.

You weren't really paying attention to him after some time, thinking about something that you got earlier today.

"You're in a nice mood," Zoro mumbled offhandedly, panting as he lifted a large dumbbell upside down with his legs while doing handstands. "Did something good happen?"

You perked up at his voice, taking a moment to process his words. "Yeah. You," you teased.

The swordsman frowned, taking a moment to understand what you meant before glaring at you with a faint blush. The corner of your lips twitched as you suppressed the urge to laugh at his reaction. He then smirked, replying, "You mean watching me workout?"

"You in general, but...." You hummed affirmatively, shamelessly, but still distracted. He kicked the dumbbell, flipped to stand the right way up, and caught it. Setting it down, he then grabbed a towel to wipe his sweat away and sat down next to you.

"So what actually happened?"

"I bought something last minute before we fled from Water 7," you started, taking out a piece of paper, "I got this."

He raised an eyebrow at the blank piece of paper. It was a small, white paper, with nothing on it. However, it seemed to bend at the edge towards him as you held it up.

"It's a Vivre Card," Zoro realized. "Where'd you get that?"

"There was a shop that made them. I knew they were made from fingernails so I gave them some of yours."

He stared at you quizzically. "Where and when did you get my fingernails?"

You ignored his question and pocketed the paper and pull out another one.

"I figured it would be helpful to find you when you're lost," you giggled at his annoyed grunt, "but I also got one that points to me."

You handed him your Vivre Card. "I guess this would be helpful...." Zoro held the paper flat on his palm to see if it really pointed to you, which indeed it did.

"'I guess'?" you repeated with a giggle. "This is going to be your lifesaver when you're lost!"

The man couldn't tell north from up, much less left from right. Even when you pointed in a direction he'd find a way to go the complete opposite way your finger pointed. You doubted even a Vivre Card will help him find you, but at least it would help you find him.

"I'll know where you are and how you are," you added with a grin. "We'll be connected!"

"Yeah," he huffed, but not disagreeing with your words. He tried and failed to suppress his smile as he listened you. "Whatever."

<•>

Zoro's hands were shaking. They never shook. He'd learned to control his emotions and not let himself panic or be angry. Even now, training with Mihawk, the number one swordsman's emotionless stature was something he aimed for.

"Never draw your blade in anger," he had said just the other day. "You will be blinded by rage, unable to think straight."

His advise was something Zoro took seriously. He had to, in order to become the greatest swordsman—in order to defeat the greatest swordsman.

But as he held the burning Vivre Card in his hands—your burning Vivre Card—he couldn't even process that his hands were shaking as a wave of worry crashed down on him, millions of thoughts and concerns rushing through his head.

The card had burned so much in just a few seconds. What had been a paper that was about the size of his palm was now a piece small enough to fit on his thumbnail.

What's happening to you?

They had separated due to that strange man with the paw hands, supposedly all sent to different locations. Zoro was certain that the crew was going to be fine, knowing them, and had seen the news of Luffy's message weeks ago. However, seeing the Vivre Card now, he couldn't help but think of the worst.

"Roronoa."

Mohawk's voice snapped at him, cold and harsh. Zoro gripped the paper tight in his hands, watching the fiery ends slow before looking to his mentor.

"Focus." The swordsman stared at him with cold, gold eyes. "We have much to go over."

"I need... I need to...." Zoro stopped. What did he need? What could he do?

Mihawk glanced at the paper and frowned. "A Vivre Card. Who is it for?"

Zoro didn't respond, still trying to process how much the paper had burned and what he would do if it completely burned away.

"If it's one of your crew members," Mihawk said, "you should not worry. I've heard of many of them and they all seem capable of handling themselves. If not, then perhaps they deserved to die."

Zoro bit back an angry retort at his cold words. He gritted his teeth and stared at the ground, unable to think of anything.

"But," Mihawk continued, "since they are your trusted crew mate, you should believe in them wherever they are, no?"

Zoro looked back up to see Mihawk's calculating gaze. It almost seemed like he didn't care at all about the crew, but there was a glint of curiosity in his gold eyes, with a hint of reassurance.

Zoro reluctantly nodded, watching the red embers at the edge, but not burning further. He knew you; you were strong and stubborn. You wouldn't go down easily. The halted flames seemed to prove that.

He took a deep breath, pocketed the small piece of paper, and focused on Mihawk. He took a few more slow breaths, calming himself and getting his thoughts back in order.

In the back of his mind, there were still thoughts about you, but for now, he had to focus on what he could do: train and come back to you stronger.