Two

Winter

"She isn't here." I said to Gi as we sat down at the table of the coffee shop that we always go to.
I scanned the shop again one more time just to make sure but she was nowhere to be found.

"Maybe it's her day off or maybe she's sick." Giselle said as she sat down across from me.

"What's her name again? I never got to read her nametag since you're the one who's always ordering our drinks at the counter." She asked as she opened her laptop and started typing.

"Karina" I answered Giselle. Her name just rolls easily on my tongue like I've said it a million times before.

"That's an unusual name, well not unusual as yours though." Giselle said as she sipped her coffee with a smile playing on her lips.

"I didn't choose my name okay? Was it my fault that my mom's favorite season is winter?" I told Giselle because she have always teased me about it. It's an unusual name indeed. I mean summer is an acceptable name but winter? I've grown to like it though. It's has become my brand as years went by. Giselle said it fits me because of my fair skin that's as white as snow.

"By the way Gi, have you finished your report? You're gonna need that later for your presentation." I asked her because she's been stressed out lately by her work at the firm and she's been working on it for the last few days.

"Almost done and Winter, why did I even work there? I shouldn't have studied law in the first place." Giselle said while stretching her arms so that they won't go numb.

"Well at least you won't have to think about what to do everyday because they give you a case to work on. Come to think of it, you're lucky you don't suffer from a block that often. While me, I'm still stuck on that painting for months now." I said while drawing circles on the table using my fingers.

"Winter you don't need the money, trust me. You can have your painters' block for years and you wouldn't have to worry about numbers. You're well provided for by your parents, they let you do what you want." Giselle answered back as she turns off her laptop and slide it into her bag.

"It's not about the money Gi you know that. I mean I'm grateful for my parents but I want to live too, that's why we share an apartment now. It's the passion Gi." I told her while looking directly into her eyes.

"I know Win, you got this okay?" Giselle said while tapping my arm as to comfort me the way she knows how.

Later that night Giselle and I went out to the nearest convinience store we can find to buy something to eat because we were unfortunately out of stock at the apartment. We wore simple hoodies since it was a little chilly.

We settled for instant noodles and packed sandwiches since it was all that we could find in the store. We sat at the bench just outside and started eating. There wasn't a lot of people passing by since it was almost ten and considering that today is a working day, most people are at their own homes and resting because they probably have a job or school tomorrow. Not more than fifteen minutes after we sat down I received a message from Giselle which was weird because she's basically just across from me.

"Don't turn around." The text said. Huh? I thought and looked at her with a questioning look. I was gonna turn around when I received yet another message from her.

"I said don't turn around stupid!"

"Why?" I texted back.

"She's here. Just behind you. Coffee shop girl." Giselle texted again.

"Coffee shop girl?" Who the hell was that? I looked at Gi and as if reading my mind she texted me again to answer my unspoken question.

"YOUR COFFEE SHOP GIRL DUMBASS! Karina!" The text from Giselle read. She's behind me? I sat still and frozen on my seat and Giselle obviously noticed that because she was trying so hard not to stifle a laugh. I shot her laser eyes as if to say "Don't freaking laugh" and she might have gotten my message since she distracted herself by finishing her food.

I'm suddenly very aware of my surroundings. The light coming from the post a few meters away from us, the sounds of vehicles passing by the street and the smell of cigarettes and I swear I can see smoke from the corner of my eye. I was suddenly brought back to reality when Giselle texted me again.

"Come on move, this is your chance!" I read the text over and over again and thought to myself was I ready? What if I stutter? What if I make a fool out of myself?

"Say hi and introduce yourself dumbass!" Again another text from Gi convincing me to stand up from my seat and turn around. Can I do this? Won't it be awkward? Suddenly a flood of scenarios came to my mind which was interrupted when Giselle suddenly stood up from her seat with a smug grin on her face and she said "Thank me later" as she approached the girl sitting behind me.