Eight

Karina

The date with Winter went great. It was different than the other ones that I had, it was an unsual one but in a good way.

"Ri unnie!" Ningning called me. We are currently in the mall because it's our day off and Ningning asked me if I could accompany her.

"What do you think about this bag?" she told me as she held a bag on each of her hand.

"Pick whatever you like Ning, don't worry if it will fit your style or not. If you like it then buy it. You always rock different styles of clothing." Was my response to her. I really don't know why she's really having a hard time choosing one. You can't love two things with the same intensity at the same time. There's just no such thing. She should pick the one that she likes better.

"Okay I'll listen to you this time, I'll get this black one." She said grinning. This kid really likes shopping. She just bought a bag last month and now she's buying another. I'm pretty sure I'll have to treat her dinner tonight or else she'll go home with an empty stomach.

"I haven't seen your friend go by the café for days. Have you been ghosted unnie?" Ningning asked me as we were walking towards the cashier to pay for her bag.

"We text casually. She said she's working on her paintings on her studio that's why she hasn't visited the café for days." I answered her.

"Good to know that. If she ghosts you I'll hunt her down." She said as she hands her credit card to the cashier.

And as expected, I'm the one paying for our meal. I don't mind though. It's not like I have someone or something to spend money on. It's only Ningning that I treat usually, might have to do with the fact that she's my only friend. I have a good relationship with my other co-workers though, don't get me wrong. But it's just that I feel more comfortable around her even if she's a tad annoying and loud sometimes. For friends, I moved here in the city when my parents died and so far Ningning is the only one I fully trust.

A new week but the same morning routine. Every Monday is the busiest day in the shop maybe because of the rush hour, the deadline or just people needing caffeine in their system to wake their body up from the weekend's rest. My shift today didn't even help because I was put at eight to five since a co-worker of mine was absent so I have to endure the busy morning hours of Monday. Good thing that Ningning is as the same shift as me which makes it bearable somehow.

The bee line of people didn't stop until the clock hit eleven. By this time we usually get at least four hours of calmness in the shop until three in the afternoon where people come in moderately until the evening hours.

It was almost two in the afternoon when a dozen of red roses appeared before me which made me look up as I was tidying up the counter top. One look and I recognized him easily. James. We went out a couple of times before he left months ago. He's kind, cool and a gentleman but I'm not just into him. I've rejected him repeatedly before but that doesn't seem to stop him.

He started to talk as he handed me the roses.

"For you Karina and can I get an Expresso."

"Thanks James you really don't have to you already know my thoughts about this thing right?" I said to him as I asked Ningning to prepare his order.

"I know Karina, just let me okay?" he calmly said with that genuine smile of his.

"Okay, just making things clear James. Let me just go at the back and put these flowers in a vase. Ning can you accommodate James please, I'll just put these in a vase." I said to Ningning as I faced her and showed her the flowers James got me.

"Sure unnie" she said as she returned on her task.

Ningning

He's back again in town I guess. James must have liked Unnie that much to still come at her even though she rejected him time and time again. But I'm guessing Ri unnie doesn't like him that way. Well I feel bad for James since he's a nice guy and all but what can he do when Ri unnie doesn't like him?

Ri went at the storage room to look for a vase so I was left to serve James. As I was almost done preparing his order the bell chimed and Unnie's friend have come with daisies in her hand. Probably for Ri unnie. But daisies? That's odd. Well whatever floats her boat I guess.

"Here's you order." I said to James as I handed him his coffee.

"Thanks." he simply answered as he handed me his payment.

"Do you know why Ri unnie hasn't reciprocated your feelings?" I asked him as I was finishing up his payment.

"Uhm I don't really know, is it me? Am I boring?" He asked me in return. This guy is really kind and a gentleman too so to put his feelings or whatever he has for Ri unnie to rest, I looked at the back first to make sure Ri isn't here yet and said to him, "Ri unnie already have someone and here she comes." And just in time Ri's friend arrive at the counter with daisies in her hand, ready to order.

James just took a glance at her and sighed.

"I already lost my chance huh?"

"Yup!" I simply answered him with a smile on my face.

"Ningning right? Is Karina here? And can I get an americano and a cappuccino?" She said as she looked around the shop probably looking for Ri unnie.

"Yes it's Ningning and yes Ri unnie is here and yes I'll get you your order. I'll just finish up this one." I said as I winked at her and her cheeks obviously heating up maybe because the last time we talked she got a date with unnie.

She must thank me or treat me in a way because this time I just got rid of James for her.  Well it was a white lie but it's for James too so he can finally move on from Ri unnie, it's for the best for everyone.

Just as I handed James his receipt Ri unnie came back with the roses already in the vase.

"So she's the lucky one?" James asked Ri unnie as she looked at her then back to Ri's friend then back to her again. Confusion visible in Ri's face and I'm trying my best not to laugh at the situation before me.

"What do you mean James?" Ri unnie answered back as she placed the vase on left side of the counter.

"Come on Karina, we're friends too you could have told me you already have someone." He said jokingly to ease off the tension. This guy is a total catch, he's good looking has manners and he knows how to accept defeat.

"Here's your receipt James. Thanks and come again!" I said to him. I looked at Ri unnie as she looked at me as if to ask "What the hell is he talking about?" And I just shrugged my shoulders at her while there stood Ri unnie's friend with daisies in her hand who's just as confused as her.

"Thanks." He said and before he turned around to leave he faced Ri's friend and offered his hand which she thankfully took even though I know she's still lost as to what's happening right now.

"Hi I'm James."

"I'm Winter" Still confused she shyly replied. Oh so Winter is her name. Finally she has a name.

"Take care of Karina okay, treat her well Winter or else I'll take your girlfriend away from you." He said still smiling but I guess a sad smile now. He then faced Ri unnie again and said, "I wish you and your girlfriend the best Karina."

As James exit the shop Ri unnie turned to me and asked, "What exactly did you tell James while I was gone?" There was amusement in her voice so I can tell that she's not mad at me. I simply shrugged my shoulders and pointed at Winter who's now looking at the floor like it's the most interesting thing in the room and said, "I just told him that you two are going out, that's all."

Winter looked up and looked at me with that same look she gave me the last time we spoke but now her cheeks are even redder but as usual I only answered her with a smile and a wink. And with that I left an amused Ri and a dumbfounded Winter as I skipped into the staff lounge.