chapter 18

Unedited

Unedited.

The next morning I woke up and looked around the room to find his presence while massaging my aching neck but he was nowhere to be seen. I sighed holding my head and was about to stand up from the couch when my eyes fell on the little bandaid on my finger which I had prickled accidentally yesterday.

After thinking of the possibility, a small smile crept over my face but it soon got wiped out at the remembrance of all the events.

"Stupid. You are so stupid. Look at how you are being on a cloud nine just by seeing his little acts! Remember he hates you. Maybe he band-aided your finger out of the humanity. No need to read too much into it!" I said to myself and without thinking too much of it further, I went to have a good bath and wore a simple salwar.

I knew my aunts would force me to wear the saree now because I was a new bride in their eyes but how could I tell them how uncomfortable I feel whenever I wore sarees.

I love sarees just like every girl but I was too self-conscious to expose my scars to others because I didn't have answers when they question me about how I got them.

Only god knows how I had struggled to cover them these days. Hope there would be a day where I would bravely embrace myself in front of others, putting aside my insecurities.

With these thoughts, I left the room while thinking of some excuses to give to my aunts when they insist me on wearing a saree. As I went downstairs, I was greeted with a tense atmosphere. Soon I understood the reason after witnessing Indra's father here.

His face was set jaunt and he fisted his hands as if he was trying to control himself from lashing out. Indra stood there near the pillar with the cold face while folding his hands to his back. Sudha Athayya and grandpa stood there as culprits while bending their heads.

"Didn't you hear me? Go and pack your bags."

He roared at Sudha aunty which startled the daylights out of me because it was my first time witnessing him behaving like this. He was always a soft-hearted and calm-natured person in my memory.

"Dude, any sane person in his place will behave in this way only when his son's marriage had happened without his knowledge and presence!" My mind answered me.

"Yuktha, go and get ready we are leaving for our house." Sudha Athayya told me softly as I looked at her with a frown.

"When I said pack your bags, I only meant you and my son, not some other outsiders," Uncle spoke out without looking at anyone in particular, making me thin my lips at his remark.

"What do you mean by that? She is your son's wife. No matter in whatever circumstances the marriage has happened, you can't deny the fact that she is our daughter-in-law." Sudha Athayya retorted him angrily.

"Sudha, calm down. Rajesh Ji, I don't know what happened but I can that you hate us a lot but don't do this to my granddaughter. She is a gem. I know we did wrong with you by doing this marriage without your consent but please don't punish her for our mistakes. I beg you."