𝟑𝟔 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡: 𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐤𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐮 𝐯𝐬. 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐢

I'm realizing that new Sen has Kamisato Ayato vibes... hehe.

A hand on my back steadies me, stopping me from practically throwing myself over the balcony to congratulate him face-to-face

A hand on my back steadies me, stopping me from practically throwing myself over the balcony to congratulate him face-to-face. When I look back, I see Sen smiling, a stark contrast to his tearful expression from just minutes before. He stands up beside me once he's sure I won't jump and starts clapping almost proudly.

"Congratulations, Naruto!" I scream, and from our height, it echoes enough that he hears me. His arm raises in a wave at me, but I catch it falter. With a tip of his head and a raised eyebrow, I wave him down, mouthing the word "later" to him.

Finally, he runs to the exit where the other contestants are, and I see him appear beside Shino and Shikamaru. The cheering and chatter die off slowly, but I know Naruto's probably still feeling the adrenaline from his win—I hope he is. He worked his tail off for it, him and Sasuke. And... speaking of Sasuke...

He still isn't here yet. Everyone's getting antsy. It's made even worse when a Jōnin approaches the Lord Hokage to whisper something in his ear. Being as nosey as I am, I look over to try and lipread their conversation—I read Sasuke's name and the word "disqualified" and I'm out of my seat and rushing to the edge of our balcony closest to theirs.

"No, you can't!" I shout over the clamour of the spectators. The Lord Hokage and the Kazekage turns my way— I'd interrupted their conversation. I can't find myself caring. I'm about to start speaking my mind, when Sen is suddenly in front of me, pushing me back with a gentle hand. "W-What are you—"

"My lords, if I may." He bows to them, hand against his chest, and they nod. I blink at him. Suddenly, he seems... a lot more different than I'd been experiencing of him. Strangely... regal. How old is he again...?

"The guests here today are comprised of feudal lords and powerful Shinobi leaders. They have travelled nearly just as far as I have today. If you cancel this match between Sasuke Uchiha and the Kazekage's son, the highlight of the Chūnin Exams? They'll see little motivation in the Shinobi from the Land of Fire and the Land of Wind. I don't think you need an explanation, sirs, but cooperation from other nations will be strained. They're here for this match. I do not recommend cancelling it over a case of tardiness."

So... this is the power of a "prince", huh? I stop myself from laughing out loud.

"Much of the Leaf's future business may ride on this match," he says. "Give him a little more time. The boy will be here soon."

The Lord Hokage's eyebrows furrow before he sighs deeply. Adjusting his hat, he says something to the Shinobi that relayed the message, and they disappear, only to reappear next to the exam proctor. And then disappears again.

"Listen, everyone," the proctor calls out. I move back toward my seat when Sen starts guiding me there by my shoulders. "One of the competitors from the next battle hasn't arrived yet. So, we're going to postpone this match briefly and simply jump ahead to the battle that would have followed this one."