Chapter 25

The walkers of the night made bold progress, traveling nonstop. The light would be spreading over the horizon in a few hours, but the path wended onwards and there was much journeying ahead. After every mountain peak there was another, after every grove there was a bigger one.

'How long will it take us to your city?' Ines asked after a while.

The old elf came beside her and looked at her in thought. 'We will have reached it by tomorrow night. If the weather allows it.'

'It is bad luck to start a journey on a Tuesday,' Landos protested.

'Ugh! I've had enough with your superstitions!' came Inemra's voice from their left.

Ines ignored their bickering; she had got used to it by then. She glanced at Matthew. He looked the same, so that was a tiny relief. 'Will he be alright?'

'I hope so,' answered the old elf, sounding slightly brittle.

'But why him? Out of all the people in the city they could have taken...'

'I presume it had to do with his weapon. And you.'

Ines turned to him, her brows knitted in confusion. 'What do you mean?'

'They are targeting you.'

'Me? Why?'

'Some things about your past are buried in the dark. Back then oblivion was the best way for you to be safe, but now they know who you are, and they will not waver from eliminating any threat.'

'What have I done to threaten them?'

'It does not matter what you have done. What you will do makes them worry.'

'And why don't I remember anything about my past?'

'Your memories were removed. You see this mark on your arm?' He grabbed her left arm that carried the unusual mark and raised her sleeve. Ines had never paid much attention to it.

'Yes,' she nodded her head.

'It is a sign of use of magic,' he said cryptically. 'Most probably they gave you a draught of the right potion, I can only guess. Landos has mastered the art of brewing, whereas I perform the art of mind control.'

Landos, being close by, heard them mentioning his name and approached them. 'It is a powerful potion, and a very difficult one to make,' he said skeptically.

Ines thought over his words and got her hopes up. If she could use their magic, there might be a solution to her problem. 'Is there a potion that can bring back lost memories?' she asked.

Landos' booming laugh pierced the silence of the forest. 'You wish.'

'How do you know—'

'We cannot reveal much yet,' the old elf interfered. 'You will learn everything soon enough. All in good time.'

The group moved along. Ines stayed at the back to keep an eye on Matthew. Until then, he looked the same, his face serene, his body tied to the stretcher. That gave her strength to keep on hoping he would be okay.

'I am tired! Won't we rest already?' Inerma complained dramatically.

Ines tried hard not to smile. She had learned early on that she was a bit loud and sassy, but she was too kind to hold a grudge against her. She was the one who forced Landos heal the wound she had on her thigh.

'Oh stars! For a time, I had forgotten how whiny you are!' Landos cried in protest.

He, on the other hand, was like a strong rock, big and stiff. He was rough around the edges, and sometimes spoke curtly, but Ines had the impression that the elves could trust him without hesitation. He would truly bare the weight of danger.