Chapter 56

The faint lights of the elf city glinted in the distance, like a pleasant memory of the past. The river's waters beside them sang, a music to the ears, a symphony of greens to soothe heart and soul, although right then it offered little solace to their heavy hearts.

Matthew held Peter in his embrace. Every spasm of her body and every sob that came out of her lips pained him more than any scar he wore. Her tears wetted his coat, but he didn't care. The woman he loved was in pieces and it was up to him to provide her with the comfort she needed.

In their loss they traveled through the waves of grief, in that most unpredictable of emotional storms. He would be the lighthouse to navigate toward, a place to go for shelter and warmth. Matthew tightened his arms around her and ran a soothing hand over her short hair.

He knew he needed to be strong for her, but the truth was he feared he wasn't so strong himself. He had lost a friend, a brave companion whose absence would leave an empty hole inside him, a bottomless pit. Whatever he threw in there it would never be enough to cover it.

'It's okay, Peter,' he let out a deep sigh. 'It's okay.'

'It's all my fault,' her broken voice was muffled by his clothes. 'They died because of me.'

'No, it isn't.'

'If I hadn't persisted in hunting him down, nothing of this would hav—'

Matthew suddenly grabbed her shoulders and pushed her off him, gently shaking her. He stared at her blotchy cheeks and moist eyes. His serious expression made her pause her crying. 'Peter, listen to me. Listen to me! They died because they believed in you. They wanted you to have a chance to live out your destiny. Do not blame yourself for someone else's decisions.'

'I can't. It's heartbreaking to see all of them die because of a prophecy.'

'Maybe right now you don't want to feel anything, but...don't close your heart to pain. Feel it. Be glad of your human heart. Pity those who don't feel anything at all.'

The moment he said those words tears started flowing down her cheeks once more. Matthew tried to maintain his calm before her and give her hope, but deep down he knew that when he would close his eyes, the nightmares would hunt his mind.

The memories would prick his skin, creating scars so deep and incurable he would carry them for the rest of his life. The guilt would follow him around like a shadow, always an unwelcome guest in the back of his head. As those dark thoughts swirled in his mind, the minutes passed, and Peter slowly stopped crying.

'As much as I'd like to sit down and accept the loss, I need to know the whole truth. The old elf has kept us in the dark for too long,' she said through tight lips.

'It's time he came clean,' he agreed and stood up, holding out a hand for her, which she took.

It didn't take them much to find him. The city was basically deserted at that time of day and almost all its inhabitants were inside their homes, sheltered from the freezing wind. A few elves lit the city lanterns and others carried firewood for their fireplace.

'Let's look at the temple,' he said. 'He is usually there.'

And he was right. The elf was sitting by the great waterfall, close to the small temple. With his hands resting upon his knees and his face calm and withdrawn, he was spending the night meditating. The old man heard them approaching and opened his eyes. Once he saw them his brows furrowed in confusion. 'Wha-what are you doing here? You are back so soon?' he stammered.

'Yeah,' Matthew replied with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

'Did you see—'

'Inemra and Landos?'