Chapter 65

It was right after they had exited the castle grounds that Matthew started to have a panic attack.

'What are we gonna do?' he ran a hand through his hair in despair. 'We don't have any evidence! We are losing time and the king will never budge. We are arguing over prejudiced assumptions while they are readying themselves to—'

Ines grabbed him by the collar and shook him hard. There was no room for panicking right now; they had to think things through and come up with a solution. 'Matthew, breath,' she told him.

'I'm breathing.'

'We will figure out something.'

Matthew looked at her and smiled sadly. He removed her hands from his neck and held them in front of his chest. They didn't have to say anything to understand what the other was thinking. Everything they needed to know was already written on their faces.

They stood unmoving for a while, taking some time to gather their thoughts and weigh their options, until the empty alley they were at was suddenly filled with commotion. Ines and Matthew looked around them in curiosity and saw people walking, heading back to their homes.

They were worn out, their movements slow and slumberous, their faces a perfect painting of pain and sorrow. They walked mutely like a silent mob that no longer had a soul. Those people had almost lost their lives, their families. Ines couldn't even imagine how that felt.

'The whole city is torn apart,' she said bitterly.

'Yeah,' Matthew agreed and started walking away from the crowded street. Ines didn't miss the tears that shimmered in his eyes.

She went to follow him, but he suddenly whipped around and looked at her with a hopeful expression. 'Hey, can't you do something with your powers. Like call them with your mind?' he asked her.

Ines shook her head. 'My powers are limited to magic absorption and its release afterwards. I can't do what the other elves are trained for. I need a magic source.'

'Even with the necklace you have?'

'Yeah. It helps but it can't create magic on its own.' She stared at him skeptically before she spoke again. 'Don't you have anything in that bag of yours? A potion maybe. Like last time.'

'I have some. I got more from the village, although I don't think they will prove any helpful,' he said and began rummaging his small bag. As he searched for something useful, his brows knitted in concentration. 

Ines couldn't help but smile at his cute expression. 'You know, you could be a perfect elf. With all your vials and everything.'

'Yeah, yeah,' he glanced at her and a lopsided grin formed on his lips. He continued checking through the vials in his bag, every time taking out a different potion than the previous one. 'I don't think this will do. Hmm...what is this?' he said and held out a vial containing light red liquid inside. 'I'm not sure what this does. I wouldn't try it out if I were you.'

'I doubt it will be that dangerous.'

'What if it is?' Matthew gave her a stern look.

'It could help us,' she reminded.

'How? By poisoning you or harming you? No, we will not risk it.'

'Matthew. We have to try. Please.'

Matthew sighed and thought about it. She knew he was worried about her, but they had no alternative. It would be impossible to inform the elves in any other way.

'It doesn't have the same colour as the others have. The dangerous ones,' he murmured. After a few seconds of reflection, he finally gave in. 'Fine,' he said reluctantly. 'Ugh! Why do I always relent?'

Ines chuckled at his reaction and snatched the vial from his hands before he could change his mind. She scanned the small alley they were standing at and once she saw they were alone, she opened the lid and brought it to her lips.

'Wait...I...' Matthew protested.

'Don't worry. I can do this,' she reassured him and chugged the potion at one go. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N:  This chapter is my Christmas present from me to you. Somewhere there are my best wishes for the year to come. And I wish I can get a lot of stars this year ;)

Phrase of chapter:  in tranquillo esse quisque gubernator potest / anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm  - Publilius