Part 4

PRESENT

Unease wrinkled Anurag's forehead as he leaned towards the Sinha matriarch with joined palms. However, the strategic woman had her gaze fixed on the unenthusiastic and disheartened face of the potential surrogate. "If it's not a problem, my younger sister would like to lay down some conditions before we continue."

The silent woman caught Adhrit's disinterested gaze and his narrowed eyes. "Of course. She may stipulate her conditions. Let's hear them," Shanti said with a curt nod.

Mitali's firm look shifted into a cordial smile. "Dadi Ji, I won't withhold information. As you're well aware of your specific requirements for a woman like me, I must inform you that this is my first and final attempt. Filling a house with a child's cries is not humiliating, but unfortunately, society doesn't see it that way."

Abandoned by Adhrit, his phone lay idle as Mitali completed her opening statement. To him, Mitali didn't appear to be a strategic and fierce person with her downcast eyes and pinched nose. His eyebrow arched in surprise when he heard about Shanti's criteria for an inexperienced woman.

Shanti replied with a hum, observing her grandson's sudden fascination towards the younger woman through her drooping and wrinkled eyelids. "You made your point, young lady. What would be your suggestion to minimize the social implications of signing this contract with us?"

Adjusting her faded maroon tunic, Mitali straightened a non-existent crease. The pills covered plain cotton fabrics were in sharp contrast with the rich linen shirt of Adhrit and the exquisite silks of the Sinha ladies.

Mitali's spine struggled to remain straight as the household's extravagance and her own desperation forced her to bow.

"I'm requesting that you draft a contract that declares me as the daughter-in-law of this house during my time here as a surrogate mother. Your grandson won't have to regard me as his wife, and I won't have any demands of him. It would only be a marriage in name, with compromises."

Mitali reminded Shanti of her unyielding grandson with her straight face, despite the slight cracking in her voice.

"Get into a contract marriage for this surrogacy?" interjected Adhrit before his grandmother could voice her views. "Are you crazy, Ms. Pathak? It's out of the question. If I was open to the idea of marriage, we would not be discussing surrogacy. There are others who meet the criteria for the contract, and you will receive monetary benefits. Your conditions, Ms. Pathak, are not acceptable to me. The ball is now in your court."

Shanti's warm-blooded grandson lived up to her expectations. Her eyes flicked in curiosity towards the woman in question. Purvi tried to calm Adhrit down by placing her hand on his shoulder and gave him a warning look.

"Mitali, stop..."

Mitali used her outstretched hand to stop her foster brother as she stood up from her chair.

"This isn't the only career that offers compensation, Mr. Sinha. Just money can not value the role of a mother, the experience, and the consequences of playing that role. Whether surrogate or biological, a mother is still a mother. The experience of pregnancy for a mother cannot be bought with money. Physical and mental changes, as well as social backlash, are all things to keep in mind."

"Ms. Pathak, you are crossing the line..."

"What do you think?" asked Mitali with furrowed eyebrows and a clenched jaw. "Am I requesting a contract marriage because of my peculiar preference for it, or do I have ulterior motives and seek specific advantages from you? None of the above, Mr. Sinha."

She expressed her disagreement by shaking her head. "My only demand is to receive the money that was promised to me and to be respected in the same way we are currently respected in society. An unmarried and inexperienced girl was your grandmother's choice for your surrogate. I don't understand why I can't set conditions when it's acceptable for you to do so."

Adhrit knew he would be foolish to ignore the admiration he was feeling, despite clenching his fists. She didn't flinch as she stood in his territory and looked him straight in the eye, leaving him in a tough spot with no fear. Her eyes lacked luster, but the raging flame of courage in them sparked his curiosity.

Though he had developed an admiration for her and wanted to explore her mind, he remained unwilling to marry her, even if it was just on paper.

"Ms. Pathak..."

"We agree with your conditions, Mitali. Your entitlement to include any clause that you think is appropriate is equal to Adhrit's, and your terms appear reasonable, giving us no ground to turn them down. I'll amend the contract and once both parties sign it, you can schedule an appointment with the doctor."

"But Dadi..."

He had no hesitation in believing that his grandmother loved the woman. In a twisted way, she fulfilled her wish of getting him married. Shanti gestured him to stop by raising her hand, and Anurag stood stunned by his sister's achievement - compelling Adhrit Sinha of something he was unwilling to accept..

The almost confirmed deal, and the wasted potential left him with a churned stomach. What would it take to kill his conscience? He knew not, for it stood between him and his peace.

"My heartfelt thanks to you, Dadi Ji, for understanding my situation and accepting my conditions. Let me know the schedule for the contract signing and the upcoming checkup."

Shanti acknowledged the younger woman with a brief nod. Her lack of triumph did not go unnoticed by the Sinhas. "This is the least we can do. You will receive the date, time, and venue soon."

Mitali forced a smile for Shanti Sinha and avoided eye contact with Adhrit Sinha, who was waiting for her and Anurag to leave so he could talk to his grandmother about his grievances.

"What did you do, Dadi? This is a mess! You just agreed to a random girl's condition, ignoring your own grandson!" Adhrit Sinha let out a roar like a wounded lion as soon as Anurag and Mitali were no longer in sight.

"Adhrit, it's not about choosing sides between you and her. The issue at hand concerns identifying the right and wrong sides. I didn't intend this choice for your child. I accepted your decision when you overruled mine, but now that I've overruled yours, you're upset? Remember that you entrusted me with the choice and the liaison with the surrogate? I made my decision, and if you have a problem with that, I'll search for a bride next."

Adhrit's frustration with himself was evident as he rolled his eyes and clenched his jaw. Adhrit Sinha knew how to take his cue and concede when it was his turn to avoid devastating circumstances.

"Do as you please, but be careful not to attract the press's attention, Dadi. Failure to do so will cause both me and Ms. Pathak suffering from the media."

__________________________________________________

They are off to a rocky start! What do you think will happen next? Please VOTE and COMMENT!