Part 5

The uneven walkways of the street resonated with the tapping of Mitali's feet. Delhi's infamous smog caused issues with visibility. She grimaced while squinting at her Titan watch, a gift from her aunt on her eighteenth birthday, now worn out and distorting her Cupid's bow.

The wait for Adhrit Sinha to take her to the preliminary checkup for artificial insemination had drained her energy. Her request to report to work late caused a bitter exchange with her supervisor, resulting in a debilitating headache and constant nausea.

The idea of carrying the child of an unfamiliar man did not allay the dread that was gathering in her mind. She shivered at the profound intimacy of the arrangement. She recognized the call center salary couldn't support their family, but death was preferable to alternative means of obtaining capital.

Hours of vacillation and planning couldn't help Mitali find an excuse that would deceive her loving aunt. Mitali knew that if Pushpa learned about her son's actions in coercing her niece into surrogacy, she would repudiate him and make her terminate the agreement, regardless of the aftermaths.

What falsehood could she concoct to play the temporary mother, and how could she look into those kind eyes and speak outright lies?

As a silver Mercedes-Benz screeched to a stop, the sound yanked her out of her vortex of worries. In only a few seconds, she realized the luxury car belonged to her client. She acknowledged Adhrit Sinha as her client, but the truth of the matter caused her nose to crinkle and the corners of her eyes to tighten. It may be brutal, but it's the fact of the matter.

Without speaking a word, she opened the rear door, only to be interrupted from sitting by Adhrit's words.

"Ms. Pathak, nowhere in your conditions did you allude you would expect me to be your driver throughout the contract term," he said, his words dripping with cynicism as she watched him shoot a dispassionate gaze through the rear-view mirror.

Mitali held herself back from smashing the door and leaving, and wore a forced smile.

"It scared me that you would reprimand me for only being the surrogate mother of your child and not someone who could enjoy the privilege of sitting next to you." She laced her response to Adhrit with mockery and a glint in her eyes, as she said that she was only trying to prevent that.

Her patronizing tone made his lips twist with unvoiced distaste. He had not foreseen a caustic rejoinder from her, but he made sure that he restrained himself in time to evade a duel of words.

"Take the front seat," he stated. He averted his gaze from the mentioned seat and fidgeted with his fingers on the steering wheel with unease, which made her scoff. Mitali changed her mind about slamming the rear door and instead opted to gently close it before taking her seat in the front.

"Sea.."

Mitali was already wearing her seatbelt when Adhrit gave instructions. She looked at him with an arched eyebrow and intense questioning gaze, making him shake his head in vexation.

The car came to life, and he had a steel grip on the steering wheel, causing his knuckles to turn white. Mitali speculated about the young Sinha's ability to control his temper as she observed his clenched jaw. She chuckled to herself, thinking he was just as stubborn as a child and his family was insistent on him having a child.

Avoiding the stubborn child's bewildered gaze, she expressed her annoyance with a sigh and looked out the window.

****

"Ms. Pathak, are you certain about this?" The gynecologist expressed concern for the young girl seated across the desk and explained as she was a virgin, it could lead to more complications than usual.

"Yes, Doctor." There was no indecision in Mitali's voice as she said, "I accept the risk," but her icy demeanor rattled Adhrit Sinha. His parents' brutal divorce led Adhrit to choose the path of disengagement and insouciance.

His sister and grandmother were among the few who could bring out genuine emotion in him. He found it challenging to identify a copy of himself in another individual.

"As you wish, Ms. Pathak. To proceed with artificial insemination, please visit us on October 30th, which is your ovulation date. Even though I'm crossing my fingers for the first attempt, there's still a chance it won't work. So, please be ready for the worst and for the best," she said with a sigh.

"Thank you, Dr. Singh."

When Adhrit stood up, he shook hands with Dr. Singh, whereas Mitali offered a formal smile and a quick nod of acknowledgement. "Take care, Ms. Pathak," said Dr. Singh, just as Mitali was about to leave the room, much to her surprise. Mitali looked confused as Adhrit held the door open for her and she nodded before moving out.

Adhrit noticed her tense demeanor and stepped in front of her when they were far enough from other patients. "Ms. Pathak, you never disclosed that you were a virgin. I thought Dadi's preference was for a first-time surrogate, not a virgin."

"Mr. Sinha, I didn't expect it to make a difference. This being my first and last surrogacy contract, I did not know about the implications of my virginity. Don't worry, your child would be safe," she assured with an indifferent look.

"You wouldn't want to speak to me in that tone, Ms. Pathak." He advised it could be detrimental. Her apathetic tone irritated him to no end. He found his solace in being the one with an unfeeling attitude and treating others with a monk's detachment. He refused to admit that being on the other side of the same treatment made him more nervous than he wanted to let on.

"If I had a say in the matter, Mr. Sinha, I wouldn't want to converse with you. Believe me, it is an obligation of the situation for me, too," she said in the same tone as he had used against her, irking him to the edge of his patience.

"Your current situation is the only reason I'm not letting you face the consequences of meddling with Adhrit Sinha." He warned, "You won't like them, Mitali Pathak," taking a predatory step towards her. Even though he thought otherwise, Mitali remained steadfast, not budging at all, and her defiant eyes never faltered.

"Adhrit Sinha, trust me when I say that I don't like it even now. You can't do anything to make this worse," she said, walking away without looking back.

Adhrit Sinha appeared to be breathless. Mitali Pathak's actions were a feat of dreams and a stunt for those who knew Adhrit Sinha well enough.

Adhrit Sinha might have finally met someone who matches him in Mitali Pathak!