TapeVanté

part 2 to CertifiedVanté

Aubrey slouches over her notes taken from her last class with a glistening of fear in her eyes. The concepts have been slipping away as she puts longer hours into her day and night jobs. Rent was raised and she is still working her way up the economic ladder of Portland. In every class, she remains a shell of a person before she can go home and nap only to turn around and pack up, going to the club or waking up the next day to work at the bank, finishing her assignments on her lunch break.

"And with that said, you are dismissed. Have a happy weekend. Don't forget to turn in your papers next Wednesday."

Sluggishly rising from her seat, Aubrey jogs down the steps of the lecture hall. As she is pushing her way through the crowd of slow walking teenagers and young adults, she can hear the overly excited squeals of girls around her preparing for a concert tonight. Aubrey hasn't got the time to indulge with her classmates. The paper spoken of seconds ago is a project she hasn't even begun, regardless of dipping in her savings account to buy a new typewriter. Times seem to be getting harder for her everyday.

Tonight, she isn't going to work at the club. Reruns of 227 run across the television as she sits on the floor, chest upright to work. Books and notes scatter across her coffee table, surrounding her typewriter, but are careful not to touch the plate that holds her egg salad sandwich and Lay's potato chips. She makes it through two pages in a heap of excitement before she hits a stone cold wall. Aubrey raises, falling on her couch for a break. The phone starts to ring just as she stretches out.

"Hello?" She answers the phone, still sprawled out across her couch.

"It's Jackie," the other end says. "Where are you at right now? You at home?"

In the club, Jackie is only referred to as Bubbles. No one in the club knows her real name with the exception of her employer, the dancer who brought her in, whom of which has since retired, and the dancer she brought in... Aubrey. With the exception of those three, not a single soul in the building knows her as anything besides Bubbles and after the first month, nobody questioned her on it ever again. Being that Jackie and Aubrey are legitimate friends, she is aware that Jackie and Bubbles are two different people but both serious about one thing, securing the funds necessary to provide for her son to get out of debt after falling into hard times once her son's father was a victim to the president's mass incarceration act.

"Yeah, but I'm not coming in tonight. I have a paper to do for my economics class."

Jackie replies, "Oh, I wasn't calling about that. I was calling to see if you were coming to the Jodeci concert tonight?"

"Wait, it's a Jodeci concert tonight," questions Aubrey with furrowed brows. She had no idea until right now.

"Yeah," laughs Jackie. Her son's choice of television can be heard in the background. He loves the Power Rangers almost as much as he loves Jackie. "I was calling to see because Tanya saw them while dancing in Miami and she said DeVante was asking about you."