-2- Sweet Irony

"I can't believe you actually stabbed yourself with a pencil," Marinette whispers as she and Adrien sit under the window. The cuts on her knee still sting, but being here with Adrien made it bearable.

"I can't either," Adrien admits, laughing. "I wasn't even thinking. I just grabbed the pencil and-" He gestures to himself and reenacts the stabbing. "Bam. Hopefully I don't get lead poisoning." He rubs his thigh.

Marinette leans her head against the wall and stares at Adrien. The sunlight pouring in from the window made his skin glow and his eyes shine bright. He never looked more handsome to her than he does now. But that only set fear in her heart. Once she confessed, everything would change. She could lose his friendship. She didn't want to lose Adrien. Besides, there's also her other red and black polka dotted secret. How could see tell Adrien she's Ladybug?

"What are you thinking about, Marinette?" Adrien turns and faces her, resting his head against the cool wall as he stares at her.

"Umm..." Marinette bites her lip. "I was just thinking, since we're both missing class, everyone else has already partnered up for Miss Bustier's project. You know, because Alya and Nino will pair up, and that just leaves you and me." She finally meets his eye. "I was wondering if you'd want to be my partner. But it's okay if you don't! I'm sure you could find a more awesome and better partner than me—"

"Sure." Adrien smiles. "I'd love to be partners, Marinette. Maybe I could come over later to your house so we can work on it? I don't think my father will allow me to have guests over."

"Sure..." She whispers, grinning. Adrien's going to be in her bedroom again. Her eyes widen. It's a mess! "Yeah. I'm cool with you coming over and sitting in my messy bedroom."

"Cool." Adrien looks up. "It's nice being able to relax and miss class. My father would be furious if he found out I skipped class."

Marinette smirks. "Technically, you didn't. You were in the nurse's office due to an injury. Seems like a valid reason to me."

Adrien snorts. "You must think I'm crazy for stabbing myself with a pencil."

"I think you're sweet." Marinette smiles. "Uh, it's sweet! What you did. The gesture is sweet. I didn't really want to be alone, anyway."

"First period's almost over."

Marinette checks the time on her phone. "Yep." Deep down, she wanted class to last forever. She wants to stay with Adrien forever. But she just didn't have a clue on how to tell him that. If she didn't tell him before school ended, Alya would be mad at her. She turns and stares at Adrien. Words can't describe what she feels for him.

Adrien looks over. "Is there something on my face?"

"No!" She shakes her head. "No. Your face is cute. Good! Your face is good. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your face."

Adrien smiles at her. He couldn't help but wonder why she's always so nervous around him and falling over her words. Was he doing something wrong? Did he make Marinette uncomfortable? Marinette looks away, but he keeps his eyes on her. Over the last few weeks, something's changed in Adrien, and every time he stares at Marinette he can't help but feel mesmerized by her beauty. He thinks about how beautiful she looks sitting under the window beside him, the sunlight making her blue hair shine and her eyes sparkle. No! Adrien shakes his head. He can't be in love with Marinette. No matter what he feels. He loves Ladybug, and he couldn't drop her like that.

Ladybug is the love of his life. Marinette is just a good friend.

***

Lunch time. Marinette takes her usual spot at her table and waits for Alya. "Marinette!" She looks up to spot her best friend running over. "So, girl? Did you tell him?"