-6- The Cat's Meow

"I didn't know it was going to be so cold, Tikki," Marinette whispers as she walks out of the library, shoving a book for an essay into her backpack. "Otherwise I would have brought a jacket."

"I like the chilly air," Tikki responds, poking her head out of Marinette's purse. "Wow. It sure got dark fast."

Marinette looks up at the night sky. "Yeah, I know. I was only there for a few hours. Or so I thought." She slips her backpack on, checking the time on her phone. 9:30 PM. "I missed dinner! I need to call Mom." She dials her Mom's number. "Hi, Mom! I was at the library and lost track of time. I'm heading home now. No, I don't need Dad to pick me up. It's only like a ten minute walk. I'll be fine. I love you." She slides her phone into her back pocket. "I can't believe I was there for hours and didn't get any work done."

"Do you think it might be due to the fact you couldn't stop staring at your phone?" Tikki teases. "Looking at pictures of—"

"CAT NOIR?!" Marinette screams with wide eyes as the black feline drops down in front of her.

"At your service, Princess." Cat Noir grabs her hand and lifts it to kiss it.

She laughs, closing her purse shut. "Heh... W-What are you doing here?" She asks, hoping he didn't see the red bug peeking out of her bag.

"I saw you walking alone, so I thought I'd come and keep you safe." Cat Noir falls into step with Marinette as they walk to her house. "I wouldn't be a gentle-cat if I let you walk alone."

"How sweet, Kitty." Marinette glances down at her purse.

Cat Noir starts twirling his staff around. "So, why were you at the library?"

"Are you stalking me, Cat Noir?" Marinette asks with a smirk, an eyebrow raised at him.

"I always make sure you're safe while I'm on patrol, Princess." He grins at her and winks. Flirting with Marinette as Cat Noir was easier for him than as Adrien, and kind of fun.

She rolls her eyes. "Don't start with that nickname again."

"What would you like me to call you then?"

"How about my name?" She teases, grinning.

Cat Noir shakes his head. "Nah. That's too formal. What about Mari?"

"I can live with that," Marinette agrees, shrugging her shoulders.

"So..." He tries again. "Why were you at the library, Mari?"

"If you must know, I have to write a 5-page essay for school." Cat Noir knew exactly what she was talking about. He had just finished it this morning. "I was at the library doing some research."

"How much do you have written?"

"My name and date."

Cat Noir's eyes widen. Marinette was more punctual that that. "Wow, Mari. I didn't take you for a slacker."

"And I didn't take you for a stalker, Cat Noir." Marinette smiles at him, laughing.

"Touché."

Marinette and Cat Noir face each other outside the bakery.

"This is my stop," She whispers, leaning back on the heels of her feet. "Thanks for walking me home, Cat Noir."

"'Course, Mari." He leans forward and kisses her on the cheek. "You know I'm always here to keep you safe."

She rolls her eyes. "Goodnight, Kitty."

Cat Noir blows Marinette a kiss before leaping onto a building. He loves when she calls him Kitty.