Chapter 5

I go to sit down on a chair that reminds me of the dentist chair you see when you get your teeth cleaned. They strap in my wrist and ankles. Other than the doctor, there was 3 creatures to assist him. Creature 1 was a tiger woman, fur and everything, only she was green with black stripes instead of orange. Creature 2 was a literal demon. He had red skin, black horns, goat feet, and claw hands. Creature 3 was a lot like Win Moller, elf ears, purple tint of the skin with blue spots. The difference was that this guy was a total nerd. A little on the short side, gelled hair with one sticking up in the back, with thick glasses. I think he is adorable. 

Lord if you can hear this prayer, please don't them kill me. I'm not ready to see you just yet. Know that I do this to keep my brother safe out here. Please protect him and the rest of my family on Earth. I know you never give us more than what we can handle, but I would sincerely apricate it if you didn't push those limits. Amen.

"Thank you, Jordan, for showing her the way. You're dismissed." All of Dr. Brooke's attention was focused on me. I wonder if he's still upset about being kicked in the private. "I'm sorry to inform you Lillian that we are out of anesthesia. We are tying you down in hopes to prevent any unnecessary movement." His smile got bigger. Yup, he's still mad. "That being said, try to stay still. This is a very dangerous and painful procedure involving the brain. We wouldn't want any accidents to happen." 

They began by shaving my head. Goodbye hair...

After cleaning up, the demon and tiger woman put another strap around my ribs and forehead. That can't be a good sign.

I felt a sharp pain spread in a circle on the top of my head. All my muscles tightened; liquid ran down the sides of my face. I could feel the doctors' fingers as he peeled off the top of my scalp. It felt like my head was on fire.

I heard the saw as it met my skull. "Hey doc," my breath heavy, "Out of curiosity, how long do these procedures last?" He ignored me.

My whole body spasmed and my jaw clenched. I almost bit my tongue. It stopped as fast as it came. "What was that?"

"Well, we are doing implants to the brain." He said distracted. Nothing to worry about... he's just focused on my brain. He's just focused on the surgery right. Right? "The brain controls the body so when I do something like this..." My stomach clenched and I had to force myself not to throw up. "It causes your body to react."

For hours I was trapped in a state of constant pain. I hated the moments of peace most. Fear shook my body in anticipation for the next wave of fire to go through my veins. I lost count of the panic attacks I suffered as my body eventually went numb. It's like I became a hollow corpse, and my soul was stuck inside.

Despite the exhaustion that consumed me I couldn't sleep. The doctor wouldn't let me, sending another violet jolt to wake me every time it looked like I would pass out.

"Ok Lillian, we're going to have to test the implants. Just to make sure they're working properly." Who's Lillian again? The doctor walked around and got in my face. I found it hard to focus and look in his eyes. "Lillian, can you hear me." Oh. He's talking to me...

"yes." I whispered. My throat hurt and my voice was horse from the screaming. "water? please."

He nodded to his assistants. The tiger woman gave me water as the other two undid the restraints.

"Be careful when you stand. Your brain is still exposed in case we need to make adjustments." Her voice was so pretty. It reminded me of the tone my mom would use when I was sick. So smooth and silky I could just fall asleep.

"ok mom." I smiled at her. "love you."

"The language chip is operational." Tiger mom told the evil doctor as she helped me up.

"Lillian." The demon called. When did he go into the other room behind the lab window? "If you can hear me raise one hand." I nod and try to lift my right arm. I clutched tiger mom tighter for support. Was my arm always so heavy? It's like lifting a case of waters one handed.

"Good job." What a cutie! I have a soft spot for adorable dorks like the guy in purple talking to me. "Tonia, the woman helping you, is going to sit you down now." Is that tiger mom's name? How pretty!

The chair was so comfy. OH! And it spins! What a nice office chair.

"Lillian, look at me." The cutie snapped his fingers to help my eyes focus.

"Hi." Aww. He has freckles, too cute. "You are so cute. Single?" I giggle as his face turned pink.

He put glasses on me. The glasses put me in a village square that looked like pictures of Italy. Other purple  people filled the square going about their day. In the horizon I could see mountains covered in snow.

"Lillian," It was the evil British doctor talking to me now. "tell me the farthest thing you can see. Is there anything in the mountains?"

I carefully look over the mountains. "Do you mean the cabin covered in Snow? I almost missed it, but the curtains are open. I see an old man looking out."

"Very good. Notice anything about the old man?" The doctor asks.

"His skin is blue not purple. With white dots and is wearing a cozy green sweater." I think he's holding something. "He has the mockingbird book I gave you." My voice was flat.

Fuck you Dr. Brooke.

He laughed as he took off the glasses. "Excellent. Now close your eyes and tell me when you feel someone blow on your cheek." I shoot him one last glare and close my eyes.

I felt it imminently on my left cheek, even though the doctor was on my right. "I felt it on my left side. Can I open my eyes now?"

"You did great. No adjustments needed." Dr. Brooke informed me. "I'll close you up and we can sync you with your P.A.I.R. tomorrow. You need to rest."

"Did you say pear? Like the fruit?" Why do I need a pear tomorrow? Is it some weird test? I making a fruit salad or something?

They all laughed. What's so funny? I'm being serious. What am I missing from this conversation?

"I understand that your memories are missing so you can't remember your P.A.I.R. Let me explain." The doctor said between laughs. "P.A.I.R. is an acronym. It stands for a Personal Artificial Intelligence Robot. It will moderate how powerful your chips are in order to prevent over stimulation. That way you're not overwhelmed by your abilities: hearing, sight, skin sensitivity, and so on. It will also keep track of your general health and help with your recovery."

The tiger woman helped me back over to the dentist chair. What was her name? I could have sworn I knew it.

The doctor carefully patched up my head and wrapped it in bandages. When he was done the demon walked me into 'my room' to rest. 

The walk to my room was a quite one. I was too tired for conversation. We reached a door with the name 'Lillian Champ' on it. Next to the door was a fingerprint reader. Guess this is the moment of truth.

It read my thumb print and the door opened. We really are a match. 

I went to the first thing that looked like a bed and knocked out.