Chapter 10

I haven't seen the doctor since I almost killed him. I thought it would be tense or a little awkward between us. I was right. The moment I walked into his office and saw his face I wanted to break his nose. 

"Ah. Lillian, how are you?" He's nervous and scared. Good. 

"I'm fine doctor. Still out of anesthesia?" My voice cold.

"Ha. That's a good one dear." He's trying a little too hard to get on my good side. "I do apologize for that. To be fair, you did kick me in a place quite sensitive to all men."

"To be fair, you used my kindness against me, kidnapped me, preformed a surgery without anesthesia, and trapped me in a state of constant pain for 1 year." Want to be that way? Fine, I can be a jerk too. "Lets not forget you electrocuted me and hold a threat over my family, but then again, who's counting?"

He squirmed uncomfortably in his chair, avoiding my eyes. Yeah, that's what I thought.

"I believe you have something of mine. Several things actually." Forget the foreplay, I want my stuff and I want it now. 

"Right. Your earthly belonging." He looked into a few of his desk drawers and pulled out a sealed bag of my clothes and my black sneakers. "This should be everything." he pushed the bag to me. 

I almost ripped the bag apart. Blue jeans, purple long sleeve, cat socks, stud earrings, cross earrings, underwear. No. No, no, no, no NO!

"This is not everything." I state, dumping the air out of the bag. "Where are they? I want them back!"

"I-I don't know. I don't know what you are talking about." I stare him down. He messed up. He knows he messed up, but he's not lying either.

"I had a bracelet. I know I did because I never take it off. Its stainless steel bracelet with my name on it. My real name. " I slammed my hands down on his desk making him jump. "I'm also missing my phone. The phone is black but the case is decorated with the stars with the moon on it. I need them back doctor."

"That's, that is all storage gave me. I swear. I-If its not there I don't know where it could be." 

"A1 take me storage. We are finding my things." I storm out of Dr. Brooke's office. "I don't care if I have to tear this ship apart. I need them back."

A1 easily kept up with my angry walking as I wondered the halls. Damn it! Why does everything look the same!

"Forgive me if I'm over stepping, but what is so important about a bracelet and phone?" A1 asks me. 

I take a deep breath in a poor attempt to calm myself. Not his fault, only trying to help. "Lets go somewhere more private. I don't need the whole ship knowing my personal life." I say as we pass an alien.

 After I find an empty room I continued to pace around. I have to be very carful with what I say. Almost no one knows the truth about who I am and I have to keep it that way. My brothers life depends on it. "You know I had a life on Earth right? Family, friends, and a job?" I turn to face him. 

"Yes Ms. Champ."

"You have to understand that they, my family and friends, mean everything to me. They are my world. In order to protect them from this life, here in space, I can never go back." Tears pricked the back of my eyes, but I held them back. "As hard as it is, I accepted this. That phone is the last thing I have to remember them. It is filled with pictures of birthdays, vacations, stupid late nights of talking and playing games." I smiled at the memories, their faces flashed by in my mind. "It is probably the most valuable thing I own.  That's why I need it back."

"And the bracelet?" 

"To put it politely, my Earth parents do not get along. They became strangers to each other after some time, after they-uh, found me. Their love for me became the only thing they had in common, even as they started to have their own families. Then, for my 20th birthday they put their pride and feelings aside. They came together to throw me a party. All my brothers and sisters put their money together and got me a custom made bracelet with my name engraved on it. Well, my Earth name. It is the best memory I have of them, of all of them. And on the inside of the bracelet," I wiped the tears from my eyes, "it said 'To the best sister in the Universe'. My phone and bracelet are the last things I will ever have to remember them. To keep them with me... I-I can't loose them A1. I just...can't." I hide my face in my hands and take deep breaths. It felt like someone was stomping on my heart, playing with my lungs and making it hard to breathe. 

Is it wrong that sometimes I wish I died in that car crash instead? So I wouldn't have to live without my family? Is it wrong that I wish that I'm going to wake up one day in a hospital and find out this was all a bad dream?

"I understand." A1 said. "I promise I will do everything I can to find these items for you Angela." My head snapped up. What did he just call me? 

"This is your Earth name correct? Angela?" He clarified. "I heard the doctor say it when you got out of the M.M.I. I could call you by this name if you prefer."

Oh... "That would be nice, but maybe it would be best if you only call me that when we are alone."

"As you wish Angela."

"And, what I just told you... Let's keep that just between us?" I asked unsure. Even though he is my P.A.I.R. will he report this to Captain General or Dr. Brooke? Maybe I shouldn't talk about my past with it.

"This conversation will never leave this room." He assured me. 

"Thank you."