Chapter Two - Mor's First Dream

I awoke with a gasp, a tingle sensation flooding my veins, and wrapped in an unfamiliar scent of honey, lemon, and...cologne. For the entire night, I'd dreamt of this scent permeating my room, my thoughts, my nose. Groaning, I rolled over and held a hand to my aching head. Then, steadying myself, I left the bedroom and headed for the kitchen in need of a refreshing glass of water. 

Breakfast was on the go for today. 

After grabbing an apple from the fridge, I immediately winnowed to the House of Wind library, planning to spend the day completing paperwork. I told myself that it was simply to lessen the mountainous piles taking up room on my desk, and definitely not a distraction from the alluring honey-lemon-cologne scent. I dug straight into work, allowing the piles and piles of paperwork to wander off with any lingering thoughts. 

But midday soon arrived. And the scent had failed to dissipate, which only served to slow me down. Before I could proceed to ignore it, a lilting hum floated around the corner. I recognised who it belonged to almost instantly. 

Dark-brown hair and eyes appeared in my line of vision, and I set the pen on the table as I looked up at her. The Illyrian immediately paused her singing as heat rose to her cheeks. She inclined her head my way. "Hello, Morrigan." 

I smiled gently. "Call me Mor. Only Amren calls me Morrigan, and that's because she's an ancient grump." 

Emerie's blush only seemed to deepen as she amended, "Hello, Mor." And then the Illyrian bowed to me. As if I deserved the honour.

I waved her off as I stood and moved around the desk to the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves lining the walls. "Not necessary." 

Leaning against a shelf, I said, "Training is going well, then."

She gave a shy smile. "Yes. It is."

"Cassian saw great promise in you all. And you continue to prove him right by your efforts."

Emerie's eyes twinkled. "We have great teachers."

I made a noise of agreement, then said, "Don't tell Cass that. His ego is already inflated enough as it is." 

Emerie nodded earnestly, amusement flitting across her face. "Too true." She shifted her weight between each foot. "Well, I'll leave you to it." There was a pause as the Illyrian stopped herself from bowing again. Then, she said, "Always a pleasure, Mor."

I nodded in farewell. "And you, Emerie." 

As soon as the Valkyrie retreated from the area, I whirled around to face the shelf and noted the candle tucked between two books. I inhaled once. Twice. 

It was honey-scented. 

*****

That night, Rhysand's inner circle, including Nyx and I, returned to Sevanda's small restaurant for a dinner by the Sidra. It never ceased to put me in awe. 

Seated at our usual large table, half in, half out of the open storefront, I dug into the variety of warm, rich, savoury, and spicy food the owner provided, grateful for the distraction from work and...everything else. The others followed suit, Nesta also taking the time to admire the potted palms carefully placed along the riverside walkway railing, all of them spelled upon to keep from dying in the cold night air. 

No one in Sevanda's restaurant went hungry. And as I sent a smile the beautiful Sevanda's way, I hoped she received the message of gratitude.  

The business owner smiled back and then asked politely, "How is training with the Priestesses going?"